PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I'm coming up to the end of a 30 month fix with Scottish Power on 30th June. The prices they would roll me onto then are about 50% more, and even the cheapest alternative is about 20% more.

Is there any way to actually switch on 30th June? That way I keep my low price until the last minute, but don't get stung by the 50% increase.
    I would post this in the energy forum. Plus Scottish Power will probably have it's own dedicated thread with a company representative.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I used to be with Eon and found the rep there very good. He even sorted out a personal issue with Eon.
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    edited 13 May 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    mardatha I remember the Dr Palfrey books, another author from that era was
    E.E "Doc" Smith
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I love Anne McCaffery and the 'Pern' books, also TP and David Eddings who have all given me worlds that are so 'real' in their writings that it's possible to be there in the story while you are reading it. It's sad when one of these interesting and talented authors leaves us and the worlds they create stop evolving.
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I love the David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey books, although I couldn't get on with her Acorna Series.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 May 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »
    I think fantasy and SF are brilliant genres for preppers. They really make you think very hard about so many possibilities:)

In that area, but not quite fitting either category, is One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

Makes you realise just how devastating an EMP attack would be, to modern day society.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    My people! My people are here! :j:j:j

I almost met CJ Cherryh, I was emailing with her before going to an SF con in Chicago, but she had to cancel.

Prepping SF - Larry Niven, of Lucifer's Hammer fame. I *did* meet him in Chicago. That was a high point for me.

Anne McCaffrey - I heard her talk in Glasgow at a British SF con, and she said (to everyone) "if you come to Ireland, get in touch with me, come see the house that dragons bought". Love her books.

Huge SF book of the 1980s: Woman on the Edge of Time, by Marge Piercy. Not quite so much about prepping, though there is quite a bit that can be applied, but about what we could build, what we might have to sacrifice to get there. And what might happen if we don't.

I love science fiction.
    /end pontificating.

ETA - One Second After is great. Last Light too.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OOHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I loved Anne McCaffrey DD,Eddings, Elizabeth Moon, Mercedes Lackey etc. I got my dds into reading on their own by starting them on "The colour of magic"

Has anyone else read L.E Modesitt jnr or the Raymonf Feist books?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Cappella I love the chickens' names :D Kirsty is the odd one out. I thought she must be in the Johnny series (haven't read them since DS was a lot younger) but had to check by Googling :o

OH has the Katherine Kerr books, though hasn't read them for years. I started to read them, and did enjoy them at first, but eventually got fed up trying to remember who everyone was this time, and who they'd been last time round. Other people who've read them will know what I'm talking about!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Options
    Post apocalyptic novels: heavens, as a teenager of the '70's I've read way too many, they're what made me the cheerful bunny that I am :rotfl: And let's not mention "Threads", eh?

Depending on your tolerance level for nastiness, I'd recommend "The Road"; we don't know how TSHTF, just know it happened and life is very bleak as a result. The book (by Cormac McCarthy) is for those of you with very strong stomachs. The film removed a few of the nastier scenes; neither are a cheerful way to spend spare time but are uplifting in a peculiar way. Because you're counting blessings? Yes, probably.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another gloriously warm and sunny day here, today. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills