PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

Question people always used to talk about cutting back bulb foliage - I never have, but I'm starting to want to. I have bluebells that surround the compost bin. They're very nice, but they're over now (sorry Mar!) can I just cut them down, while leaving the bulbs in situ of course, and chuck the foliage in the compost bin? I can't reach the bin at all right now :o and when things are settled, I might well try to move it.
    :) The foliage needs to be left to die back so the nutrients in the leaves can be re-absorbed into the bulb. If you cut the leaves off, you deprive the bulb of their goodness and it may not flower, or will flower badly, the following year. Even the habit that some folk have of tying up messy daffodil leaves while they die back is not recommended nowadays. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a suspicion that was the case, GQ, thanks. It helps in the sense that accurate information always helps :rotfl: but its not *convenient* information, if you know what I mean :rotfl:

I'll carry on with the letting-them-die-back-naturally ... and later in the year, I'm definitely going to move the compost bin. Or find one that actually works.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, do the bulbs need to be in compost? Can I dry out on the ground?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Don't know yet.

First one was a blood test for kidney function, after they doubled the dose of my blood pressure medication.

Second one was an Ultrasound examination of my shoulder, which has found a small, partial thickness, tear of a tendon/ligament.

So sorry about the shoulder, it must be very painful.. the same thing happened to a friend; when they told her she had a torn ligament in her shoulder she said "But how on earth did that happen?" to which the reply was "We don't know, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes!" :(
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    GQ, do the bulbs need to be in compost? Can I dry out on the ground?
    :) Hmm, I'm slightly confused by the question, is this because you have bulbs that are/ were in pots?

The bulbs will go dormant for several months, so they should be all right whether you leave them in compost or lie them around nekkid (so to speak). I'd have them underground by September, tho.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're doing a boot fair as sellers this weekend and I am going through all our possessions to root out the things we've just been hanging on to but haven't used in umpteen years. I've been through my prepping gear too and am shedding the stove top coffee percolator and some half moon saucepans with lids. If anyone would like either of them PM me and I'll pop them in the post for you, if not I'll try to sell them at the boot fair. If I cull the book collection too I'll post any titles I'm shedding here so if anyone wants them do the same thing.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thats a kind thing, Mrs LW - I'm okay for stuff, but I'll keep a look out for what books you post up, and work out a way to send postage money.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 May 2018 at 6:09PM
    Options
    It's hens teeth rare to find like minded pals Karma, happy to do it!

Your Brick Oven building it and baking in it by Russell Jeavons.
    Home Poultry Keeping an Invest in Living publication
    Making and Using Dried Foods by Phyllis Hobson
    Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning by The Gardeners and Farmers of Terre Vivante.

All offered from my downstairs book case.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I loved that, GQ, especially the way the cat's [STRIKE]owner[/STRIKE] slave talked :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure