PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) .............. ahead of the 2020 introduction of polymer notes.

Thanks GQ, I hadn't heard this: 2020 isn't as far away as it sounds.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 May 2018 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Trying to herd the offspring past the moneylaundering regs (uncle's death includes modest bequests & solicitor absolutely Spot On the correct details) meant a certain amount of Tidying had to occur as part of the searching. (The horror, I tell you.)
    It unearthed three round pounds and a fabric tenner, but since we had to have dealings with two different banks, that was all entirely sort-able & indeed sorted.

Unfortunately, offspring rumbled my cash stash in the car so I'll have to relocate that somehow. The upside is I don't need to worry about The Damp as much... Though my mattress may take up rustling with an unpleasantly incontinence protection sort of crinckle - I think the weighted patchwork blanket (some tuppences, some ten pences & some krugerrands) may be the way to go.

Has anyone seen the new alphabet design ten pence pieces yet? I've not seen a single exotic ten pence yet, other than in the media.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the weighted patchwork blanket (some tuppences, some ten pences & some krugerrands) may be the way to go.
    How interesting! There's always more than one way ... :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 May 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Having seen a few Youtube videos on the subject, I got to wondering.

Has anyone on here considered (or even actioned) getting a telescoped air rifle, as a means of putting food on the table, in the event of TSHTF?
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    There's little illegal about an air rifle, but the usage is rightly controlled & the accuracy can be questionable. If you have one powerful enough to merit a scope, then there may be more difficulty - I'd put the effort into learning snares which are much more illegal at the moment but require a lot less kit & rather more cunning.

As after all, carrying a length of fishing line is not presently a crime, although the lack of rod hook & licence might raise an eyebrow. I've even got a passable reason for carrying piano strings around - m'lad uses them modelling little SF war figures.

Just in from a very pleasant few minutes in this sun, most of which I spent tickling apple blossom. (My son's perception of attempts at manual pollination, bless the lad.) There's that little, I could tickle every flower. My wassailing has not come to much this year & the James Grieves apple tree has not a single petal visible. I shall water the two apples & the plum in hope just the same.

Karmacat if you were pondering patchwork, then I commend hexagons, but the still less effort & almost as frugal method observed at St.Fagans (gatehouse, If I recall correctly) involved sewing a circle in a scrap of cloth, gathering it into a bunch & sewing the widest part of the bunches together. We are Not talking "piecing over paper" By Any Means here, just pulling a scrap into a circular-ish shape leaving corners etc pointing, then sewing them together much as you might hexagons but with less neat corners. Struck me as deft way of cheaply concealing coins or shoving a wisp of wool into each for a thicker padded coverlet for a crib. (Devils own job to wash, mind.)
    It was small, cheerful & obviously affordable with minimum effort, unlike the glorious tenderly patched covers worn by other beds in other St.Fagans buildings, where time, effort & aesthetics had been put together.

(Indeed the Army had a fine tradition of of very detailed patch-working for recovering invalids. Which happened to utilise leftover scraps of uniform fabric no longer fit to be coaxed back into wearable garments, but might also include reusing the braid, embroidering, and generally making remarkable things with it, with a detail & thoroughness frankly terrifying to contemplate. Still pipped to it by the Egyptians.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 May 2018 at 6:20PM
    Options
    There's little illegal about an air rifle, but the usage is rightly controlled & the accuracy can be questionable.

You could use it in your garden (or join a club), which would be an interesting pastime, while also honing your shooting skills, and preparing yourself for a SHTF situation.

As for accuracy, check this out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeGaTgk-Ag
    If you have one powerful enough to merit a scope, then there may be more difficulty

Many sub-12 foot pound air rifles can take a scope, and can benefit from one, and scopes aren't linked to power, but rather to accuracy.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We've always had guns here. Currently my son has "borrowed" them.... think he's had them about 8 years now lol
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Many sub-12 foot pound air rifles can take a scope, and can benefit from one, and scopes aren't linked to power, but rather to accuracy.

I have to say my Scouts are terrifying both with & without scopes. The Regulations are exceedingly clear however that they may only shoot at competition target faces.

In part for the above Regulations, I hone some of my skills outside Scouts, but they do let me use their ranges to practice the approved stuff at. We are encouraged to teach survival skills (for a badge, even) but not how to set traps, catch a fish to eat it (angling is All catch & return) and emphatically not to throw a knife. Scout badgework for survival requires you to "prepare a meal using ingredients that could have been found or caught". There are times Gilwell Logic eludes me utterly.

Me, I'd rather upskill with catapults, slings, nets-&-ferrets etc. The number of people who do not recognise a sling, and who presume catapults are children's toys (ha!) do make practice trickier. I find a quiet field & some scout or dogwalker comes along & I have to stop... To be fair, the sticksling we only practice with on empty beaches. As you do build up momentum & it doesn't half make a whack, connecting.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Same son has 9 brand new baby fergits too... if they all survive then he'll be looking for homes for them :)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the weighted patchwork blanket (some tuppences, some ten pences & some krugerrands) may be the way to go.

Didn't someone pop gold coins in their curtains as weights and a relative took the curtains to the charity shop? :eek:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure