PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't know one myself, but will start with presuming you're not shackled by a smartmeter.
    At which point, you pick the least bad option at the start of June & see what happens. (Unless energy switching has got more efficient? I reckoned about a month from clicking through to change of billing.)

Or, for peace of mind, start stitching today. Much depends on your usage, budget & anxiety?!
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For those who don't have a copy of Nanny Ogg's famous cookbook, there are less edible versions of rat-onna-stick available: https://www.discworldemporium.com/discworld-plushies/332-rat-onna-stick

I'm still working on a version of dwarf bread - my own home-made version of bread is nearly as solid as the dwarf version but not quite...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina

Geraldine's a goat, according to The Good Life. :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I've always thought it would be the fun to paint (or buy pre-printed) some kind of trompe l'oeil effect, so that what people saw from outside wasn't actually what was inside.

Sorry Bob, distracted by a precious ingenious idea - yes! Curtains that make it look like I tidied! Or beautifully painted doors suggesting that behind is a clean and orderly room when I know a teenager is lurking in its pit.

I maintain I've never been burgled as anyone looking into the front room tends to recoil, appalled. Into a bay bush if they're lucky, or just sprawled nervelessly in a "bed" of mint & chives if not. The serious wannabe, peering through the kitchen window, will note there is nowhere to put a foot having climbed in & that neighbours on both sides have dogs.

Farm behind has alpacas & goats at present. I've not asked their names as gorgeous, fluffy & cuuute cover the essentials. (But then I keep my drying laundry well away from their somehow-familiar appetites. Maybe I should nickname them after the sons...)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to have created such an uproar :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I've read a few of dearest TP, but I've always been more into hard SF. And indeed, if anybody knows the Merchanter Universe of CJ Cherryh, or the Galactic Milieu of Julian May, well, I've lived in both those universes for months at a time.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Sorry to have created such an uproar :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I've read a few of dearest TP, but I've always been more into hard SF. And indeed, if anybody knows the Merchanter Universe of CJ Cherryh, or the Galactic Milieu of Julian May, well, I've lived in both those universes for months at a time.
    :D Couple of my fave authors listed here. You almost never see CJC books in chazzers, I reckon nobody gets rid of them until death they do part.

Just decluttered well over an hour in bed asleep - got overtired and had a minor crash, we ME-types will be familiar with this habit.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did the same thing, GQ. Happily, tonight's dinner was salad with tuna for me and cooked meat for OH, so that was nice and easy.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also a huge CJC fan here; my only complaint is that she doesn't write fast enough! And Julian May, and Guy Gavriel Kay... somehow a good SF/Fantasy novel can spirit me away into far corners of the multiverse that feel much more like home than this one does!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chickens are sorted !!! We now have Sybil, Esk, Esmeralda, Gytha, Susan, Glenda, Kirsty, Magrat, Tiffany, Belle, Polly, and Agnes. Which one is not a Discworld character? Gold star if you can identify the TP series she is in?

Huge CJ Cherryh fan here, but my advice is do NOT read The Faded Sun on holiday. It looks very odd if you sit crying yours eyes out on the beach at Mablethorpe! Fantastic books though. I have never tried Julian May, May have another go but might struggle to find the books.

I think fantasy and SF are brilliant genres for preppers. They really make you think very hard about so many possibilities:)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I bet nobody else in here has read - or possibly even heard of - the old 1960s Dr Palfrey books.. Some verrry interesting scenarios in there. The Depths is a fav of mine.
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/44591-dr-palfrey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport