PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:09PM
    Options
    Council did our kitchen, OH is blind, had no problem having it done the same way. Different areas must have different rules. Only thing moved was one light switch.

Thank you carlislelass :) Perhaps your old kitchen was already compatible with the current rules? (By sheer chance, I mean.)

ETA Thank you GQ :) They were able to have a new bathroom sooner than expected, instead, which was better actually as the old one was in a bit of a state. I don't think anything in it had been replaced for about 40 years apart from the taps. They have a proper electric shower over the bath now :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Well, having a new door is certainly an icebreaker in terms of getting to know your neighbours.

Just came in from the lottie and one who'd never spoken to me before wanted to know (in a nice way) when I'd got it done as she was still waiting to hear from the contractor. And another passed me on the street a couple of hours after it was finished and remarked 'nice door'.

I hope I'm not going to be Envied, the door is one of the council standard ones, you get a (very small) choice of styles and colours and I'm in about the last 25 % of flats to have their doors replaced.

:D Still, I have never, in my 50+ years, lived anywhere with a new door, so it is quite an exciting day on Planet GQ. :D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    O god there'll be no living with her now....
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    O god there'll be no living with her now....
    :p Yer reckon?!

You get on a plane and come Dahn Sarf, Mar, plenty of room for a wee lassie like you in my allotment shed. Or even in the allotment cold frame. You can admire my new door from afar as long as you don't put mucky paw prints onnit.:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay to innocent door envy :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I quite fancy one myself :D

I've finally got rid of all the opened post and packaging from behind *my* front door (genuine plastic :D) slightly embarrassed at the amount of time its taken. All my little ebay/amazon purchases, mostly optical stuff - screwdrivers for spectacles and a few spectacles first aid kits, but also those little canisters to screw on to your keyring to take a couple of aspirin around with you) have all been in the pile, now unearthed. Plus my new daysack for my holibob, to be used as a ready-packed hospital bag in future.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    <ponders leverage required to get Himself to repaint & restore the numbers to our front door> Definite nice front door envy!

A propos of genuine plastic, I did a quick fold of bags for life (it sounds dreadful, but it does make them pack flat) and loaded four small hessian totes with flat-packed bags then shoved three under the back seat & one in the boot so for a couple of shopping trips at least I already have bags!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    A real prepper would have a hidden steel inner door GQ... I'm just sayin ;)
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    A real prepper would have a hidden steel inner door GQ... I'm just sayin ;)
    :p LMAO!

If I wasn't a tenant, I'd have a steel-cored door and 'london bars' - the steel frame to keep it in. The landlord doesn't know about the bunker I'm excavating under my flat, as I tunnel down into the pilings which support Shoebox Towers on the dodgy riverine gravels of this site - if we start listing, we can bill ourselves as the Leaning Tower of England and make a mint off the tourists.

I'm actually working on a wee sewing project (well, taking five from it for a moment). I'm altering some net curtains for my parents. Nets are preptastic if they protect your home from snoopers - I chose this design by spending ages in the shop looking at the least seeable-thru design. Plus you can peer around them.

One should never ever twitch net curtains as we human beans, like all animals, can't help but take notice of movement. One should peer, very slowly and circumspectly around net curtains, when spying on the ne'er-do-wells outside dealing drugs.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I may come round to nets again soon. I inherited v posh wooden venetian blinds in my living room and bedroom, and it's the living room where they're an issue. Exactly as you say, snoopers can very easily walk up to the window and look through - they can't through nets.

I do have a bit of leftover security film for one of the three sections. It lets through something like 95% of light, and would block the view from said nosey parker into my bathroom at the back of the house, when I leave the door open, oops.

I also have some voile, that used to be at the porch curtains, that I could use - not sure I'm going to do it, but I might well check that I know how to set it up, if you see what I mean. Might be a time when I need it pronto. Even during a holibob it might be useful ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) I've always thought it would be the fun to paint (or buy pre-printed) some kind of trompe l'oeil effect, so that what people saw from outside wasn't actually what was inside.

F'rinstance, I'm sure I saw somewhere in the media a feature on these printed panels you could stick on the outside of your garage door to make it look like the door was up and there was a fancypants car or a boat in there.

A prepper could go one further. You could have a garage attatched to your home with an up-and-over door. Door's up and it's wall-to-wall cluttery rubbishy stuff. Any passerby would think; Gordon Bennett, the Joneses are such a bunch of scuzzers, look at all that trash!

You could be the talk of the neighbourhood, everyone would know your garage was full of rubbish and not worth robbing. But, maybe you have one of those garages with a side door, and there's a false wall about 3 ft in from the up-and-over and it's covered with carp and all the good stuff is neatly behind.:rotfl:

We could market window films which showed that our homes were decorated in Early Poverty (to steal a line from crime writer Robert Crais) whilst peacefully living behind them however we wished.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills