PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didn't they successfully plant some seeds found in King Tut's tomb recently? :)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They certainly successfully grew a magnolia from2,000 year old seed:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009c12m
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miword, that'll learn me to (a) trust seed packets & (b) to think throwing out seeds might be a reasonable solution. (Madam Kondo clearly not a gardener!)
    Only onto land I still have access to, I feel, or to people who can put them to a better use than I.
    "Plants are time travellers", eh? Right chaps, shovel a-piece, we need to dig a landing site for the TARDIS ...
    Huge thanks for your reassurances!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    daz378 wrote: »
    yes bob im afraid its that one ...... do you have a recomendation for a better ?

Not better, just cheaper.

https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/4085-lakescape-gas-camping-stove.aspx
    daz378 wrote: »
    i already had gaz bottles and i knew they fitted this thats why i got it

Your gas canisters will also fit the Home Bargains stove, because they're basically the same stove.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok cheers Bob will bear it in mind for future purchases
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 April 2018 at 7:30AM
    Options
    GQ, could you persuade your friend to try Japanese Indigo instead? (Japanese Indigo) I believe it's quite easy to fail to grow, as the cutting she gave me keeled over almost as soon as I got it into our conservatory!
    :) I shall mention it when the subject next arises. I suspect the urge to do home dyeing from native plants to be a short-lived whim; pal is very crafty and creative but has a demanding more-than-full-time job and lots of other commitments and tends to want to take on more than two normal wimmin could do with 28 hour days at their disposal.

maryb, very interesting article. My blood runs cold when I hear somebody burbling happily about how they always use contactless etc. Really? You want to datestamp your presence in the world 24/7/365 and have zero privacy? At they MAD?! I'm so secret squirrel that I don't even use ATMs/ card transactions in other parts of the UK when I'm holidaying or otherwise bobbling about.

Whenever something is being touted as convenient, I thing the smart people need to rear back and ask 'convenient for whom?' I personally think that spending money ought to be inconvenient. It's hard-earned for most of us, and a very finite resource, and we should part with it grudgingly and be sure what we get in return is worth the life energy we had to expend to get our fiat.

I haven't even had the computer on for days as have been on the lotties/ at work/ eating or sleeping and haven't had time. Have woken up to heavy rain, which surprised me as there was a beautiful clear and warm evening last night and I was expecting more of the same.

I shall leave it a few hours and, if it hasn't stopped, go plant broad beans in the rain on Plot2 anyway. They're soaked and ready to go and I've spent a lot of time and energy prepping the dereliction of Plot2 ready to receive them, until dusk last night. Obvs, I'd rather not be rained on, but it wouldn't be the first time I've planted beans in the rain. The last time I did so, with a 48 hr pre-soak, they were up in 6 days.

Re seeds, I tend to give 'em a go. Many things germinate long after their sow-by dates. We have to remember that if the packers didn't put a date on the pkt, some fools would keep them for 20 years, get a nil or poor germination, and demand their money back.

Big seeds (beans, all kinds, and peas) I soak for 48 hours. This greatly speeds the germination. Small seeds, I wait until the soil is warm to the touch when I jam my fingertips into it. Not an exact science but works for me; seeds don't keep calendars, if it's too cold for them to germinate, I figure they're better off not in the soil and vulnerable to rot or being eaten by some critter.

Hope everyone has good day and that it'll stop snowing on Mardatha's hill. :)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ I am not growing at present but I used to wait for a damp or rainy day for planting seeds, not potatoes though. Because of shifting a lot of soil and the weight of wet soil.

Some of my prepping went a bit wrong, or did it? My pasta was in a specific cupboard and it got attacked by some sort of beetle. I did look it up but I'd forgotten to keep a beetle for reference and a lot of the beetles looked very like each other. I had to chuck it all out but there were more psckets in the (beetle free) store so although armageddon preps took a hit, I was at least prepped for an unexpected beetlemageddon.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Sorry to hear about the beetles, Ancientofdays, glad the pasta wasn't a total loss. tho.

The weather forecast indicates that the rain may be stopping about midday and I intend to go out just after lunchtime and plant the beggars. If I get wet, I get wet, the clothes go thru the washer on Sunday post-lottie anyway.

Although I better shop for groceries before instead of after, in case I will be bemudded like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Son saw me come in from the garden, eyed the DPM smock thoughtfully (military surplus is such a sartorial godsend for really messy jobs), watched my dump out the pockets & was only moved to comment when he saw the knife. "Oh, not suspicious at all"

So I grinned & hauled him away from slouching & snarking to help dig. Him in his chefs trousers with another smock hauled over the rest of him. I have ways of putting cheeky youth to use, but I do tend to swathe them in surplus first as I buy the washing machines...

All the best shopping then on the allotment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure