PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey.

Is that an example of 'satisfaction guaranteed or double your refuse refunded'?
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We planted woad odeliberately once, thirty years ago when I was still using my wheel. It’s still coming up in all sorts of places despite our best efforts. Borage is as bad, but we don’t mind borage, it’s easy to weed and the bees love it. I can spin, but don’t much anymore, love my knitting though :)

I’ve just caught up with this thread, there are some very interesting posts I seem to have missed. We have the builders back this week and the bathroom is being turned into a shower room as there are some issues for MrC as regards the bath and they will probably get worse so we’re getting prepared for this. Unfortunately things here have not gone well otherwise, MrC has broken his wrist and trundles back and forth to the hospital and Tolly the ginger ninja scavenged and ate something very nasty indeed. Easter was mostly spent at the emergency vets with him on various drips, X-rays were needed and the bill so far has been over £900. I have to say that I was VERY angry and unimpressed with our pet insurance companys so called customer service yesterday but am very grateful that we have also been putting money away ourselves in a “ dog saver” so were able to pay the bill upfront without worrying. I would REALLY-recommend that, in addition to insurance, preppers have an emergency animal health fund. We may well get our money back but it could take several months, and not many vets are prepared to wait that long.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »

Tolly the ginger ninja scavenged and ate something very nasty indeed. Easter was mostly spent at the emergency vets with him on various drips, X-rays were needed and the bill so far has been over £900. I have to say that I was VERY angry and unimpressed with our pet insurance companys so called customer service yesterday but am very grateful that we have also been putting money away ourselves in a “ dog saver” so were able to pay the bill upfront without worrying. I would REALLY-recommend that, in addition to insurance, preppers have an emergency animal health fund. We may well get our money back but it could take several months, and not many vets are prepared to wait that long.

Hope your insurer pays up. I prefer to self insure for pet health costs. Insurance is so expensive, and there are so many exclusions and so much 'small print' that I didn't feel it was worth it. It seems, if they can possibly get out of paying, they will :mad:

Our vet has a 'Pet Health Club' which we do belong to, where we pay £12.50 per month to cover all routine injections / boosters, microchipping, his neuter op, regular check ups with a qualified veterinary nurse and money off the products that they sell. I think lots of vets do this. But apart from that, we use savings if our small dog needs treatment.
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Borage is a cracking escapee to have though - if you don't uproot it for dying (blue & or purple depending on leaf or root if i remember), you have the all time champion swanky Pimms no matter who's loosing at Wimbledon, and it also decorates the sainsbury sponge with Pimms cream delightfully. (Mine *never* looked like the picture, but it disappeared to the last crumb at school events - honestly one bonus herb & I got a little more culinary reputation than I could quite cope with.)

With the research historians it was almost as big a hit - those driving and thirsty could get into borage tea without loosing a millimeter of moral high ground (whereas those on the beer just had to dispose of their tins shrewdly, ahem).

One visitor pleaded for a stem of borage for "spiritual purposes" - she didn't trigger any other warnings, so we arrayed a choice of four for her, and soused the other three. Turns out in her world, borage is for peace in the home & in domestic relationships. (Since we come from an assortment of backgrounds, and anyway at a static show can't really get up & leg it, we hunkered around, poured the tea & listened fascinated. And folks think *we're* a bit odd!)

Anyway - you've done the tricky bit, getting the blighter to germinate. You're not minded to try the really difficult bit, getting rid entirely - so enjoy the bees! Keep spinning occasionally? Means you can spin up a custom crafting gift noone else can offer, even if you just turn a couple of kilos of fleece into spun yarn - no barcode, just artistry. (Anyone saying but I need another four skeins to finish this sweater can go raise their own sheep.) Even spinning that's gone wrong can be inspirational to a felter (you take the victories life offers, some days.)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its making me wonder if woad is edible?

Its also making me wish I could find a play on words as good as Mrs LW's :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Woad betide you if you do?
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2018 at 11:39AM
    Options
    We planted woad odeliberately once, thirty years ago when I was still using my wheel. It!!!8217;s still coming up in all sorts of places despite our best efforts. Borage is as bad, but we don!!!8217;t mind borage, it!!!8217;s easy to weed and the bees love it. I can spin, but don!!!8217;t much anymore, love my knitting though :)
    20 years on I still remember the words in a gardening book 'Borage is lovely if left to drift on it's own in blue cloud in a corner of the garden'.
    They lied. Unless you have a garden the size of the Ponderosa, you can't just leave Borage to it's own devices - it brings a whole new meaning to 'rampant'. :mad:
    Seeing as I had so much of the darn stuff, I tried eating the leaves but didn't like the texture. One experiment not revisited,,.. :D
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs LW - :rotfl::T:rotfl:

DfVictory said
    Anyway - you've done the tricky bit, getting the blighter to germinate. You're not minded to try the really difficult bit, getting rid entirely - so enjoy the bees! Keep spinning occasionally? Means you can spin up a custom crafting gift noone else can offer, even if you just turn a couple of kilos of fleece into spun yarn - no barcode, just artistry. (Anyone saying but I need another four skeins to finish this sweater can go raise their own sheep.) Even spinning that's gone wrong can be inspirational to a felter (you take the victories life offers, some days.)
    I’d rather drop spin, easier on my wrists these day weirdly. Still have spinning days with friends though to keep my hand in. Not weaving though. Always wanted to weave but found it an exercise in applied frustration.

Dawn - sound advice. I’m going to cancel the pet insurance once I’ve fought this claim, but have already doubled the amount we save monthly for pet care as that seems a better option. :)

In the meantime Tolly’s now having an ultra sound scan, and we await results.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs LW - :rotfl::T:rotfl:
    From me too :p

In the meantime Tolly’s now having an ultra sound scan, and we await results.
    Best of luck with that, Cappella.

My preps - so repetitive, I'm quite embarrassed :o its all about clearing, clearing the garden, the hedges and the house. I've created just enough space so that playing tetris to store like with like has become efficient :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I've created just enough space so that playing tetris to store like with like has become efficient
    That's more than efficient, that's admirable! Says she who frankly hasn't managed it yet.
    Nor am I holding my breath - I have had the garden ladders "reinstalled" in my room, just completely blocking one access route & thus my ability to get at Anything down that half of the room.

Still, the kitchen windowsill now has trays of (labelled!) cuttings, so while I'd love to play Tetris & can't, at least I got mud pies...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure