PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I suppose now isn't quite the moment to suggest you curl up & enjoy a good zombie survival book? As the Haynes Zombie survival manual is both witty & intriguingly well informed on prepping matters.... Yes, a few pages can be skipped entirely, but there were a lot of bits of excellent sense between the humour & zombie nonsense.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Never mind the zombies, I've just killed 15 of those giant orange slugs up on the allotment. Thirteen spaded and another two spotted on my way off the plot after spade was put away (those, I knifed).

Tomorrow I shall try and find some more of the bu88ars and show them Cold Steel.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Ah, the sound of the Grey Queen when Her Blood Is Up.

Slashing, squishing & the occasional ecstatic squawk from a happy chicken.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I sometimes wonder about the sanity of you lot. I mean, I know I'm all right. ;)
    But not sure about you lot
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2017 at 10:47AM
    Options
    I have just been watching a quite interesting series on Netfl*x called (I think) How the World Ends. Each segment so far seems to be from a different perspective but the common denominator is that each group of people are firmly convinced that the End Is Nigh, we are living in the Last Days, for various reasons, religious, mystical or possibly because of a fresh war. One segment was mostly about the Rapture, for which they prepared extensively and assembled in readiness and were quite miffed when it did not happen but seemed to rally and reset the date. It failed again I think. There was another lot who believed that the Earth was going to be hit by a giant planet called X. This bit also had some scientists pointing out that with modern methods of planet detection they probably would have spotted this ginormous thing.

Most people had anti disaster shelters and even the Rapture people had all kinds of stores and preps but they seemed not to take them along on Rapture Day, so that was a little inconsistent. But their bug out preps were really quite extensive to the extent of fully prepped bug out vehicles and not just bags.
    The scary part for me was about a possible pandemic, which I consider quite likely at some point if we haven't all been blown to Kingdom Come by then.

EDIT I forgot to tell you that one of the religious sects had worked out, using some mathematical formula, that the antichrist is Prince Charles, or, as they called him, Charles of Wales.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    No scenario of just getting overwhelmed by sheer numbers of people?

NHS overwhelmed (errr...yep....well on the way)/roads jammed with traffic/struggles in some parts of the country to keep green space safe from development/unaffordable housing because of too much "demand" from all these people/Government giving those on the dole a totally inadequate amount to live on as they try to share a same-size-or-smaller "pot of money" between more and more people (whilst still being intent on low rates of tax on high earners and not chasing mega-companies hard enough for the tax they owe).

Errrm...hang on a minute - all that is in the newspapers as happening right at this moment...:cool:

Aka the lobster being slowly boiled alive in a pot of water on the stove scenario.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My feeling is that we are not facing nuclear Armageddon in the immediate future but I would not be at all surprised if the US is the subject of a cyber attack in the near future. Hard to prove it's NK but effective at humiliating one of the great powers.

If it affects banking, the knock on effects could be global so I am upping the cash float I keep in the house. Labour Day is the first Monday in September and of course we have August Bank Holiday last Monday in August. So a prime window for mischief making
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2017 at 11:44AM
    Options
    The entire series appears to be mostly USA oriented, though there are references to European figures, Nostrodamus for example and not forgetting Prince Charles in his new role as the antichrist. His mother WILL be pleased.
    I agree Mary b I find the sabre rattling or pen*s waggling a bit scary but that is what I think it is, a cyber attack is quite likely, given the recent small attacks, perhaps those were practice runs, who knows? I certainly don't. We always keep a bit of cash handy, especially around holiday times when the dispensers can be empty.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We can put a lot of the uncertainty down to Mercury going retrograde from now till early September - lots of opportunities for miscommunication and arguments. Rumour has it also that China could be kicking off against India some time soon. Ah it's a funny old world!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • DigForVictory
    edited 12 August 2017 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Yes, this new format of test cricket is somewhat bewildering.

I'm with the lobster school of thought & that I happen to have a startling wad of cash is entirely due to a Lack of planning & an imminent camping holiday. Yes, the bug out vehicle is *almost* a reality, here. Along with three days rations & all the radiator fluid we can dunk teabags into we can drink...

If only I were kidding. I just hope the Trossachs can cope. The lads are forces of nature & frankly unlovely when hungry. Says I their mother gawd help us.

Still, we could be trying something at sea. Counts blessings!

Sanity? Why bother? Depressing, restrictive - much like my working wardrobe. I veil body, spirit & eccentricity in exchange for money. No rhinestones indicated & fortunately not dress code heel requirements. Well, they inferred quite enough from one pair that the code was hurriedly revised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure