PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not happy with the shoot to kill policy in general - I think that is quite dangerous and I think can often can be counter-productive.

I wonder if he still thinks that?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's an interesting bit in the Guardian live updates thread, Bob, where Corbyn is perfectly accepting of the decisions yesterday to shoot the terrorists - it's now thought he was referring to the the actual policy of shooting instead of arresting, and shooting first ... if that makes sense.

That thread has gone a bit funny - all this life and death stuff, and right now its gone on to describing Ariana Grande's set in Manchester :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Speaking of salt - I am looking at my store cupboard as we speak while the Idle Piece is checking her phone (never been so pleased to see her just being here, being idle!!). But I have largely switched to sea salt which we buy when we go on holiday to Brittany.

Trouble is, most recipes for bread talk about teaspoons of salt. Fine dense salt must weigh a lot more than the equivalent volume of grainy sea salt So does anyone know roughly how much to adjust by? I tend to use a heaped tsp of sea salt where it says a tsp of ordinary salt but that feels a bit slapdash
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hi maryb, don't know if you'd be interested, but I was rather alarmed to read that sea salt samples from all over the world have been found to be contaminated with micro-plastics. Bit concerning in what is marketed as a class of premium products.

One might be better off to consider ordinary old salt from mines (which was laid down from seas in geologic time) or even Himylayan rock salt.

Just been harvesting the first broad beans and the first strawbs, the latter (4) eaten in situ by me and a passing lottie pal.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    OOH good point.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd read that about the salt and that's just the latest thing in a string of foods we used to be able to eat okay and are now having to regard with suspicion.

I still don't understand why those who cause these problems never seem to add 2 + 2 together and realise they will also have problems getting "clean" food to eat because of their actions:(.

Thinking on re the Guardian comments today about the latest incident and one of the columnists is describing the recent attacks as "a war on joy" and detailing off that its been:
    - teenybopper concert in Manchester
    - a tourist day in Westminster
    - Saturday night of revelry in London

Put like that - I see what he's getting at and he may well have a point. That being - a quite deliberate attack on those things that give us pleasure (ie rather than the more "business" side of life).

All the more reason to try and get those bits of "joy" in our life - like good food (rather than just filling our stomachs with something per se)/music/etc and to do so proudly and openly at not having to live in a "grey puritan world".

I hope this concert by Ariana Grande and others goes well:T
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, I'm getting joy into my life right now by scrolling down my Twitter feed to my email address. It's called Emergency Kittens :j after all, you just *need* pictures of kittens in your life sometimes :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 June 2017 at 10:53PM
    Options
    Sounds just the thing Karmacat :T I'll have to see if i can find it! I'm not on Twitter.

ETA found some :D
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2017 at 8:03AM
    Options
    I'm glad your DD is safe maryb
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks mrsLW, I got a tiny unfolding stove which will hold various fuels, like my meths burner or my wood pellets or twigs. I put everything I need, except the meths of course, into an empty cotton sac that I have, lighting system included plus tiny pan and kettle and it is all now in a padded bench seat in my hall. No more scrabbling in the outside storage box looking for stuff. I still have the butane cooker and cyclinders in there and they would be used first, to use them up but the new system is my permanent one. I also got an andrew james raclette stone, made from granite. It is the perfect size and thickness to put on my metal garden table for under a small fire holding device, so I can cook standing up in safety.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport