PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( It's prudent to question all medical procedures and be very very wary of having surgeries. I had an elective surgery a few years ago and had a bad outcome which wasn't even listed on the list of possible outcomes as a vanishingly-small probability.

Extensive testing revealed no signs of permanant brain damage but the whole business was frightening.

I've read staggering statistics about the amount of people who are in hospital as a result of bad outcomes to earlier procedures and treatments, think it's above 20%, so a bit of caution is a sensible position.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Part of the problem is that people want miracles, so often opt for surgery thinking it will 'fix' the problem (much like they want a magic pill). Look at all the options carefully - sometimes there are things that will take more time/effort but are actually more likely to be successful if you persevere.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BUT I would add that surgery, when appropriate & well-tolerated by the patient, is a wonderful tool; I wouldn't be without my bionic hip, which has made so many things possible! But I do wish they'd identified the real problem, say, 20 years before, when appropriate help & exercise might have stopped things degenerating, rather than assuming it was all down to "referred" back pain due to lack of stomach muscles...
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 June 2017 at 8:56PM
    Options
    Finally, finally .... I've just published the rocket stove blog. [deleted link, didn't work, please see post 4088 below].

Read it and marvel at my cack-handedness :o
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The link doesn't work Karmacat.
  • Karmacat
    edited 2 June 2017 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Drat, it doesn't does it, sorry Bob, sorry all. Trying again, not via wordpress, though it looks the same:
    [deleted link, didn't work]

ETA nope, not yet. Hang on.
  • Karmacat
    edited 2 June 2017 at 8:55PM
    Options
    [deleted link, didn't work]

Can't seem to do it :( don't know why, I've often linked to pages (other than my own!). Well, the website is preparednessfactandfiction, and its the most recent post. I'll keep trying, but I'm possibly a bit dozy right now, just had bad news about the rellies we visit each summer :(

Okay, try this one: http://www.preparednessfactandfiction.co.uk/

Yep, that does it! Sorry again.
    Save
    Save
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Testing......... http://www.preparednessfactandfiction.co.uk/

Yayy, it works!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thank you GQ!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You guys may remember my African friend who left his son home alone. You'll be pleased to hear the lad sensibly sought out his auntie himself, so I did not have to break any confidences.

My friend is on Ramadan at the moment, but I am concerned about his fasting. He has a stomach ulcer which requires him to take medicine while fasting, so that it does not hurt him. !!!!!!!

I have pointed out to him that he does not have to fast if he is ill, or if it would make him ill. I'm afraid it is water off a duck's back.

Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport