PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• manchestermargo
    Options
    Thankyou Nargleblast and Kittie for your replies.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi people had 2 weeks off during my bereavement period and was astonished to learn you go on a stage 1 warning about sickness , after 3 weeks off in any one year.....ive not been on sick for at least 2 years it used to be any 3 sickness periods in 3 month , then six month and now this.....iknow some people take the mickey....but this seems a little draconian
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where I work, it's a warning if you hit 8 days in any 12 month period. That's not even 2 weeks. Not good - flu can last that long on its own then you'd better not get ill again for the next year.........:( That said, they would allow you 5 days for bereavement.
    Never, ever give up........
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I hear the same tale from the private sector, even from people working in household-name FTSE-100 companies.

It seems that many employers resent that employees are human beings and can get ill, or be bereaved and be too upset to execute their duties for a while. Pretty brutal in a lot of cases, and counter productive if employees bring contaigous illnesses into the office.

Or are working when distracted by grief and cause accidents.

One woman I know, whose father died very suddenly, was expected to bury him at 1 pm and be back at her job at 3pm. You'd think better of the NHS, wouldn't you?!?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Lindlou wrote: »
    Where I work, it's a warning if you hit 8 days in any 12 month period. That's not even 2 weeks. Not good - flu can last that long on its own then you'd better not get ill again for the next year.........:( That said, they would allow you 5 days for bereavement.

:eek:. I would have been okay normally whilst working for that - provided they didn't include time off work ill with period problems.

I often used to wonder what would happen if they gave me a "warning" for too many days of sick leave and they'd included period problems in that (ie as that would be sex discrimination imo - as men don't get period problems).

In my own mind I always used to mentally divide time off ill into:
    - what anyone could have (ie of either sex). So "illness" illness

On the other hand:
    - period problems

and I would mentally count out the period problems.

Fortunately the amount of time before one got a "warning" just about covered both illness and "period problems". So they were starting to get a bit awkward about that time for period problems - but never dared to create about that on top of "proper illness". If they had been intent on counting those days too - then I would have been "stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea" from having to struggle into work and then just lying down too ill to work - but they couldnt have said I'd had too many days off and should have a "warning" as I would be physically present in the office iyswim. Given that we had work targets we had to reach - and I would have been lying there unable to do any work much - then that would have created an "interesting" situation:cool:

Thank god for retirement...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just dropping in to let GQ know that Nursie is needed by the Garden Fencers (and you might want her to have a word with Mar about what she did to the elephant... )
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Just dropping in to let GQ know that Nursie is needed by the Garden Fencers (and you might want her to have a word with Mar about what she did to the elephant... )
    :p Ooor-errr, missus! Better mooch over there and see what pertains.

Don't want to loose Nursie unless someone's priming ICBMs, one has to maintain a sense of proportion, after all, n'est-ce que pas?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »

:D I suspect I can work out what that word means without looking it up!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just caught the start of this programme on Channel 5, and had to switch off. Just hearing a few patients' stories made me feel ill.

Unbelievable that someone supposedly dedicated to saving lives could be so callous as to do needless operations to make money.

Beware of unnecessary surgery folks. I was operated on needlessly at age 5 which meant a further op at 18 to correct the damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure