PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p You' get reported for buying hairspray being as you are a bald feller, it would be sooo suspicious.

OK, I'll use Cold Start instead. :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Careful, Bob!
    With delicate machinery it can be a bit of a monster
    In small doses and used properly, it can be effective in hard-starting gasoline engines. But it can be bad for two-stroke or diesel engines
    For our purposes however, it sounds the business. Anyway, m'sister uses some pump version hairspray which I think misses on All The Fun, but she took the FDA thing a bit seriously.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Jack Monroe poured scorn over preppers a couple of months ago for the sheer thought of prepping as it would contribute to an increase in food prices and make food even more unaccessible for poor of our country.

Preppers like myself have slowly been building food stocks for quite a while and were doing so even before the invention of the Brexit. She's panic bought without any regard for her previous moral standings.

Her opinion is her own. Her prepping wis her own. I notice in her opening paragraphs she didn't write that one of the reasons she didn't prep was because it put food prices up therefore making food unaccessible to some in society when a whole post was about it.

The cracks are showing now. Preppers hide!
  • fuddle
    Options
    She said:

A few months ago I was approached by several newspapers asking me to write a piece on stockpiling for Brexit. I refused, saying that I didn’t want to contribute to food shortages, panic and alarm across the country.

She left out the part about stock piling increasing the price of food and therefore making it inaccessible to the poorest in our society.

I'll go see if I can find that blog post. She has a 'post Brexit apocalyptic style' book to sell I see.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay. I won't post again, I'm not debating Brexit or what people said, I can't cope with that.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • fuddle
    edited 16 November 2018 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Karmacat I'm not getting at you. Honestly. It's just the women has 180'd. I will look at her lists, maybe even use them. :D It was a helpful thing to post, an very relevant. It's just Jack Monroe is a professional opinion giver and was very harsh against preppers in the summer.

My mistake it wasn't a blog post it was a twitter rant. July 28th. She says a lot but the crux was:

Except they're still not listening. So I'll repeat what I said when I turned the stockpile clickshit down.

1. Causing a mass panic about food shortages will lead to price rises, which will harm the poorest.

2. Only rich people can afford to stockpile in any quantity.

3. Stockpiling reduces available food stocks for those who live hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck, food bank trip to food bank trip.

4. Due to how supply and demand work, an increase in demand will lead to price rises, harming the poorest.

5. Those who can least afford a years supply of tinned fish are those who will need it most.

6. Those who can most afford it can probably jolly over to their second home in the South of France and have all the fancy tinned fish they like, and don't need to stockpile.

7. It is a typical ploy of Government - especially this one - to leak a hint of impending apocalypse & cause mass hysteria. This allows them to then do what they like, because, phew, at least we aren't eating our cats! Price rises? Phew. Chlorinated chicken? Fine! You fools.

There is a term for this and I am do furious I can't remember what it is, so I'll just call it absolute!!!!!!!!!!!!erylies. Snappy.

8. Stockpiling your own storecupboard is your right, I guess. But the better thing to do would be to fill up your local food banks instead.

9. If you voted Leave, and you're now scrambling round Aldi nicking all the herrings for your Brexit Bunker, you're an absolute !!!!!!! of the highest order of !!!!!!!ry.

10. Clickbait scaremongering about food shortages is irresponsible.

11. LMK when the riots start.

Do you see why my heckles are up and that its not against you. Sorry if you felt I was be harsh against you.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    At least she's honest enough to admit that she's changed her mind. I do wish some of our politicians felt that they could admit they'd like to, too.
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • fuddle
    Options
    Maybe she changed her mind to coincide with the release of her new 'cooking from tins' cookbook released a few weeks ago. Who knows. I hope it spurs her followers to begin prepping. Heck she might even make us socially acceptable! :D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Stuff that! Not a worthy life goal.
    rendered worthy (& in whose eyes, anyway) by Jack Monroe?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure