PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    (can’t light a firefighter in a grate with a lighter)

Light it while holding it, then put it in the grate.
    I can light a fire with newspaper and kindling but firelighters make it easier.

You can also use a few drops of hand sanitising gel.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can still get those long battery-powered gas lighters that were used to light the gas or the fire?

Like these?

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/clipper-brightlight-lighter-332229
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Light it while holding it, then put it in the grate.

That's a very handy tip Bob, thanks :)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    That's a very handy tip Bob, thanks :)

And also reminds us to keep any stocks of said gel well away from hot places or flammable materials (like stashes of loo roll).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Dairy: I have tried to revert back to cows milk. It's a no go for my digestion, my tummy nor my marriage! Oh dear. Lidl don't sell goats milk so I'm going to stock on UHT from supermarket and keep myself in homemade oat milk for cereals. I haven't tried oat milk in coffee so I'll try that today and if it's palatable I'm on to a winner.

Have you tried the lactose-free milk Fuddle? I have a dairy-intolerance and I find that the lactose-free works OK. You can also get long-life as well as fresh and it's a bit cheaper than the goats milk. I also tried the a2 milk but for me, that didn't work as well as the lactose-free.

Just a note, the lactose-free isn't milk without lactose, it's milk that has had lactase added to break down the lactose just as would happen if you took the lactase supplements - cuts out the middle-man so to speak :rotfl:

It is basically milk, so it works as milk in everything and I make my kefir with it no problem. It's a bit sweeter as the lactose is broken down into 2 simpler sugars (galactose and glucose) which taste sweeter than lactose.
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    dND wrote: »
    Have you tried the lactose-free milk Fuddle? I have a dairy-intolerance and I find that the lactose-free works OK. You can also get long-life as well as fresh and it's a bit cheaper than the goats milk. I also tried the a2 milk but for me, that didn't work as well as the lactose-free.

Just a note, the lactose-free isn't milk without lactose, it's milk that has had lactase added to break down the lactose just as would happen if you took the lactase supplements - cuts out the middle-man so to speak :rotfl:

It is basically milk, so it works as milk in everything and I make my kefir with it no problem. It's a bit sweeter as the lactose is broken down into 2 simpler sugars (galactose and glucose) which taste sweeter than lactose.

I find the lactofree stuff tastes 'cleaner' (the A2 milk made me want to throw up).

But whilst I'm not a fan of non animal milk in tea, so have a tiny splash of lactose free in tea and black coffee, I'm told by friends that rice milk is good for tea. Not tried it myself, mind - and hot chocolate/cocoa made with coconut milk is lovely (as long as you make sure you don't boil it).
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    I too have a problem with lactose - no longer major, but still there - and have simply avoided it since I was a small child, long before anyone had invented lactose intolerance! Tea & coffee taste much nicer without any additives, IMHO. And cereal's best crunchy, though I don't eat enough of it to worry much. Porridge is great with a spoonful of apple butter, and occasionally a dab of cream, which doesn't usually set me off (nor does a small amount of soft cheese or butter, but low-fat most certainly does) and pancakes with fresh fruit or lemon juice & maple syrup. Who needs milk?!
    Angie - GC May 24 £162.50/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »

Or a swipe of Vaseline. My scouts were a bit wild-eyed when I riffled through a nappy bag & produced incendiaries galore. The vaseline, the cotton wool, even the teetha granules burn fast (but are hideously expensive - kinder to donate to a stressed parent than burn, but the point was made) and as for baby milk powder?! Boom!

The infant can produce various noxious gases but rarely to order. The nappy bag is far more reliable.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Or a swipe of Vaseline. My scouts were a bit wild-eyed when I riffled through a nappy bag & produced incendiaries galore. The vaseline, the cotton wool, even the teetha granules burn fast (but are hideously expensive - kinder to donate to a stressed parent than burn, but the point was made) and as for baby milk powder?! Boom!

The infant can produce various noxious gases but rarely to order. The nappy bag is far more reliable.

That reminds me of how my alma mater, Scumbags Comprehensive, taught us how to ascertain the presence of chemical energy in food. Whilst higher-falutin' educational establishments would simply blow the lightly placed lid off, our lot went on to the field and produced custard powder mortars, complete with (soft) shrapnel placed upon the top of the lid as the tin was placed in an old bit of ventilation ducting pipe.

I'm not sure if that continued after our year. The teacher was Irish and people were rather suspicious. Especially when we also had careful explanations of the chemical processes involved in mixing various substances together (like why bleach and disinfectant is BAD/how that was used in WWI and how fertiliser can cause an awful lot of problems for owners of largely glazed buildings). I'm sure there was no evil intent in this teaching, but when you have things like that, together with 'extra' work involving calculating trajectories and blast areas, I can see now how the occasional Fenian hating parent could take offence at the little gingery/freckled ones becoming worryingly proficient in Science With A Purpose.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I too have a problem with lactose - no longer major, but still there - and have simply avoided it since I was a small child, long before anyone had invented lactose intolerance! Tea & coffee taste much nicer without any additives, IMHO. And cereal's best crunchy, though I don't eat enough of it to worry much. Porridge is great with a spoonful of apple butter, and occasionally a dab of cream, which doesn't usually set me off (nor does a small amount of soft cheese or butter, but low-fat most certainly does) and pancakes with fresh fruit or lemon juice & maple syrup. Who needs milk?!

Re that "porridge....occasionally a dab of cream" - that's something I'm partial to as well occasionally.

Have you tried Oatly "cream" - ie "cream" made from oats? I'm not sure I can tell any difference between that and double cream actually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure