PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I've tustled over dried v tinned capella. When it came down to it I decided I wanted to be able to eat easily in a crisis so I went mostly with tinned. Then I tustled over the space they took and decided I think too much. :D

Loo rolls are not very well prepped here so I will get more proactive with that.

I've got water to restock and I'm thinking 5L replacements. The 2 litres are cheap but they fall over, and roll, are quickly used up. The bigger bottles would also be more use afterwards on the allotment, taking water to the caravan etc.

I also need a stock of change in the house for bus fayre down the hill in emergency situations. A chest infection can come on any time and unfortunately I was working the plot yesterday, even with my mouth covered, and suffering some lung/heart spasms on breathing since.

Dairy: I have tried to revert back to cows milk. It's a no go for my digestion, my tummy nor my marriage! Oh dear. Lidl don't sell goats milk so I'm going to stock on UHT from supermarket and keep myself in homemade oat milk for cereals. I haven't tried oat milk in coffee so I'll try that today and if it's palatable I'm on to a winner.

And finally I snood material. I have made two now, one in lambswool that irritated with the dampness as I breathed and a second in acrylic. That one I panicked about because although it worked in terms of irritation it dawned on me that it was essentially plastic. MrsL thankfully educated me about the fibres to calm me down but I'm at a knitting and stitching show in a couple of weeks and would like to do a 3rd snood that will just be the bees knees for me chest and stop these spasms due to blood flow problems. Any help on fibres that are warm, breathable, non irritating and safe to breathe in?
  • What about cotton Fuddle, it's a natural fibre and I've got a couple of cotton jumpers that are toasty warm and fairly heavy weight. The only downside to cotton is the length of time it takes to dry when it's washed when it's knitted as a garment.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I could crochet a more gappy stitch to make it more breathable. Thank you MrsL :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Research bamboo Fuddle. TY to all who sent me to find the lighters xx
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I find matches these days have so little topping they are hard to light. So I got a batch of lighters from the pound shop and I light the match from those (can’t light a firefighter in a grate with a lighter)

I use one of the long ones which has gas in the handle and can be refilled as it creates a flame rather than a spark, much like a cigarette lighter. It lights newspaper or firelighters in my woodburner perfectly. Similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windproof-Refillable-Lighter-Tealight-Tigerbox/dp/B06Y1KZMV1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542027994&sr=8-4&keywords=gas+lighter+flame
    Cappella wrote: »

Ive been re-stocking slowly for weeks after the kitchen refit. It's been a good opportunity to think gardening and change my stock to be honest. I'm not restocking a lot of the dried pulses I used to buy in bulk, just the split peas, red lentils and black eyed beans we use lots of in soups I can make in the slow cooker. Tinned pulses keep just as long, and are a lot more friendly in terms of fuel needed to cook them. They are automatically portion controlled too.

I have both tinned and dried pulses. I'll use the dry whilst there is still electricity and water and if either of those go then the tins can be used.

I am stocking up on tinned soups as these are useful for both winter power cuts, snow-ins and recovery from illnesses as well as being a Brexit standby. In either scenario I will use freezer contents first (home made so better) then move onto tins and packets once the freezer is empty or items no longer usable due to power cuts. We only store home made veggie meals and soups in the freezer as these will be safer to use for longer than raw meat etc in case of power cuts.

The one thing I know I'm not storing enough of is water, so need to work out how best to do that in my small space. I have some water carriers in the shed which will need to be cleaned out as not used for a number of years, and some 2L full sealed bottles indoors, but have had these for a while and are probably out of date by now.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    Maryb
    I get fire lighters from home bargains (I can't remember the exact price off hand but they are cheaper than Asda or Tesco)
    Toilet rolls I get from farm foods , I get the purple Duck ones 3 packs for £10 (sometimes I get a voucher leaflet from them through the letterbox and I make my shop up to £25)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a lighter like oceanspirit's with gas in the handle. It was from Morrie's :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ooh thanks for that. i'll look out for them
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 November 2018 at 7:18PM
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    We have a lighter like oceanspirit's with gas in the handle. It was from Morrie's :)

Sometimes sold as BBQ or candle lighters...

And don't forget your yellow refill tin.

(I'd also chuck in a flameproof lighter/zippo as they will light and stay lit in a storm without getting too hot to hold, are less likely to go BOOM and you then also have a tin of liquid lighter fuel for the important things in life like soaking plasters off hysterical children with remarkably hairy knees.)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I need to go to Costco. Loo roll, beans, & chopped tomato are essentials in this household, but still more teabags & several of those natty tins of lighter fuel since the chaps seem to come up with new ways to get through them -
    like soaking plasters off hysterical children with remarkably hairy knees
    Am I putting ideas into their heads? (If so, how come this is so easy, and voiced requests so ineffective?)

Still more porridge oats (and, of course, sultanas - hairy limbed picky mortals that my beloved offspring be) and Oh Dear Heavens, What, Again multipacks of noodles. Less by the multipack, I think it's time I bought by the pallet. They can all do evil things to noodles with a kettle, but they do then eat them. To prepare therefore it helps to have a few where they can find them & rather a lot more stashed where it hasn't occurred to them. Eyes model volcano thoughtfully. If they'll do that to let rip with mints & cola in science, I may have my work cut out.

Anyone know a vicar with a holy altar spare? Capable of accommodating at least one recusant Catholic, willing to let it go to a good if not exactly devout home? (I could get religion & keep a candle burning on it, to lend verisimilitude...)

Tell you though, we now have paraffin & at last count one Tilley or Vapalux per head plus a hospital lantern... That's a pure clear light that'll burn the daylight hours through without fuss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure