Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2016 at 9:00AM
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    OP has not turned up since the last post, maybe its just a spam

Her story is common enough, and my main concern about the iPlayer changes is that TVL operatives will have even more opportunity to confuse and confound the interview process.

It's even more important than ever that people who are legally unlicensed are clear about their AV setup and clear about the law.

The key phrase is: "We only watch commercial catch-up services, and we never watch iPlayer".

I will also be blocking "bbc.co.uk" on my Router. I don't understand why the BBC is not publicising this option (and creating an iPlayer-specific URL to go with it).
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It's inconceivable to me that we won't see a new Pay International iPlayer before too long.
    I would be interested in that, even though I am in the UK. Before they canned it, the old version was around £4/month. I might pay £48/year for access to BBC programs on iPlayer catch-up.

Unfortunately, that isn't the current value proposition. Instead it is all-or-nothing, so £145/year and rising even if you only use iPlayer catch-up and nothing else. So... like you, at the end of August I will migrate to Netflix, Amazon or similar. TV is just a tiny part of my life, and I doubt I will miss the iPlayer all that much.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    One thing has just occurred to me. With the iPlayer enforcement going digital, which will probably require an initial first time TV licence number log in, that will mean Ex-Pats all over the world using VPN's to access the current service will be screwed.
    I think the BBC will move to block VPN access anyway. (Following Netflix). Streaming video service need to have effective controls over user location to meet the requirements of (certain) content distributors.

They already have, using the same Netflix system, but people found a way around it. They will be/should be screwed when this new system kicks in.
    The Global (subscription only) BBC iPlayer service, allowing Ex-Pats access was shut down on the 26th June 2015, with the strong suspicion being that most actually used VPNs to access it at no extra cost (as in freeloading?).
    It's inconceivable to me that we won't see a new Pay International iPlayer before too long. (Wasn't it in the Government proposals?)

I agree. It will also go towards some of the impact of lost revenue that the govt currently pays on behalf of senior citizens. Which is £650m, roughly a fifth of the BBCs overall budget.

The corporation's responsibility for the free licences will be phased in from 2018-19, with the full liability met by the BBC from 2020-21.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    The BBC will have the option to decide whether to take the hit (of over-75s Licences) against their budget or not. If not, over-75s will be asked to buy their own Licences (or go legally Licence-free).

£650m is around 1/8 of the BBC's budget (1/5 of Licence Fee income).
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    By the time tech catches up I suspect the BBC (or at least the current 'licensed' entity) will no longer be around.

I cannot fathom paying them anything, to be honest, given the antics of their staff, overspending and wastage. Not to mention their biased and selective reporting, pro royalist inclination and many other traits. The sooner the BBC vanishes the better. I do not directly fund their existence and never will.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Options
    These are clearly very deep Capita problems of which I have no knowledge.

Um, when you contract someone to do a task usually implies a degree of responsibility..
    only applies to the BBC iPlayer TV service and not the BBC Radio iPlayer.

Hurrah! I'll be able to catch up when I miss the Friday evening/ Saturday lunchtime R4 comedy slot.

I think quite a few of the posters here are still making the assumption that we all watch TV - VisionMan and MarkTheShark on different sides of this thread for example. Even Cornucopia talks about detuning his telly, sorry, router.

I do watch TV, but only down the pub when my team is on and it's an away game (as I have a home season ticket). My masochistic tendencies are catered for by watching England games there. I'm not completely non-visual - I use instructional youtube videos, for example, and my girlfriend brings round DVDs to watch - but on a day to day basis I have no need for a TV, catch up or otherwise.

So can you all change your mindset just a teeny bit, thanks.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    For my part, it makes little difference to my objections to the principles and activities of TVL whatever flavour of legally unlicensed household they are directed against.

If there is a bias in my thinking, it will be because almost all of the dubious TVL cases I have seen have been about households with a display device of some sort (which I expect almost all under-75 households probably now are).
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    And whilst I'm on a minor rant, spare me, oh gawd spare me from the anti-BBC nutters who go on about bias, that they're pro royalist and the like. Have they ever considered the alternative sources they might have to rely on? Have they never noticed that even the selection of stories can lead opinion? Have they never noticed the difference between the front page of The Sun/The Daily Mail/The Guardian/The Independent? Have they never noticed the trivial crap the aggregators bring us?

They want to rely on new sources with purely commercial agendas?

To them I say, think a bit more deeply...
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    For my part,

Soz.. You didn't expect to be untouched during a rant? :D Your contributions are always valuable.

Chuckles..
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think quite a few of the posters here are still making the assumption that we all watch TV - VisionMan and MarkTheShark on different sides of this thread for example. Even Cornucopia talks about detuning his telly, sorry, router.

I do watch TV, but only down the pub when my team is on and it's an away game (as I have a home season ticket). My masochistic tendencies are catered for by watching England games there. I'm not completely non-visual - I use instructional youtube videos, for example, and my girlfriend brings round DVDs to watch - but on a day to day basis I have no need for a TV, catch up or otherwise.

So can you all change your mindset just a teeny bit, thanks.

You assume too much sir! I listen to the radio more that I watch TV as I only watch live sport. For the (minimal) rest I either time shift it or use the internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure