Must stop spending

Options

Comments

• bma14
    bma14 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    That's great and very sensible and understanding of hubby :) you will feel a lot better once you have a clean slate and can focus on rebuilding the savings pot x
    Total Debt January 2017: £2,000 Total Debt October 2019: £300 (85% repaid)
    Savings Goals: House Deposit: £15,000/£15,000; Christmas 2019 Savings: £450/£600

Soon to be on my journey of renovating a house on a budget :)
  • Thanks enthusiastic saver. Once my cards are clear I'm chopping them all up. The last two years of paying off debt has been hard and I've definitely learnt my lesson.

Thanks bma14 :) it will definitely be easier and more rewarding putting money towards savings rather than paying off debt.

I just want to be able to pay as much off as I can before I take the money to clear the rest. It sounds crazy but I kind of feel like I'm cheating by taking the money rather than paying it off myself.

Our new house isn't really near anything and I have to get the train to London for work everyday. We will be about 5 miles from the nearest train station so I have to get a car soon or I'm relying on hubby for a lift everyday. I get the train 6.30 am so I can't do that to him for long!
    Ideally I would like a new job closer to home.
    May 2015: £11685.56 / November 2017: £2076
    Credit card: £302
    Paid back : £700 / £2476
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I understand the feeling of wanting to clear the debts yourself without taking money. As much as I wouldn't refuse an unexpected lottery win, I think deep down I would be disappointed if I paid off my debts in that way.

BUT I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that this is the best way of clearing the debts and to do otherwise would sort of be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There is no right or wrong way to become debt free, you have worked hard enough, now you can focus on your future :)
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J wrote: »
    I understand the feeling of wanting to clear the debts yourself without taking money. As much as I wouldn't refuse an unexpected lottery win, I think deep down I would be disappointed if I paid off my debts in that way.

BUT I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that this is the best way of clearing the debts and to do otherwise would sort of be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

There is no right or wrong way to become debt free, you have worked hard enough, now you can focus on your future :)

Thanks Florence :) It's weird isn't it... I actually feel like I need to punish myself by paying it off but I should be grateful I even have this option!
    Once paid off and we have moved in and settled I'm going to concentrate on saving.
    We spoke to the site manager yesterday and they said our house is due for completion in May. EEP :eek::j
  • 4 day weekend woop :) plus it's my birthday weekend!
    No Big spends planned this weekend which is good. Hubby is taking me for dinner on my birthday. On Sunday we are visiting family for a roast dinner and Monday morning we are meeting friends for breakfast.
    I'm hoping to get some vouchers for my birthday so I can get my shopping fix.
    I bought myself some new gym trainers last week because I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and my current ones are about 6 years old. They were on a £20 off promo but still cost £80! Eep. Anyway my brother has kindly sent me a £100 voucher for my birthday so I have ordered the trainers again with the voucher and will return the original pair. That's good of me right? The old me would have kept the pair I bought and just bought more clothes!
    Had to buy birthday treats for work this morning. Spent £6 :( nothing compared to what the other people in my team usually spend. At least it's only once a year!
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Happy Birthday LMSTM :D
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Thank you Kirtsypoos :) I had a lovely day. Spend the day with hubby and had an amazing meal in the evening. He surprised me with presents (without going too much over budget). Our budget was about £60 but he treated me to a pair of Pandora earrings and said it was a tanks for all the effort I've put into the sale of our flat and purchase of new home :)
    I got vouchers from family but didn't see anything I wanted to buy! Ha!
    I'm waiting for the £80 refund to go back into my account for the trainers.
    Our next payment of £125 went out our joint account today for our storage of our furniture. I owe our joint account £80 so as soon as it comes in it's moving.
    My parents have gone on holiday for 3 weeks so we are back to buying our own food again at home :( it was awesome while it lasted!
    Hoping to make it to the end of the month!
    We went and peeked at our house at the weekend and it looks like it could be ready very soon. All painted inside but no roads which could be an issue!! I'm hoping for a June move in so I can continue to pay off my debt with my own money.
  • thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Options
    Sorry, what's ynab?
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • It's pay day tomorrow!! :) which means my cc direct debits will be going out shortly which means my debt is soon to be below £3k!! Woo
    Until we get more news on the house I'm going to keep making my normal £400 payments each month. I'm hoping to be able to put some money aside this month for when we move.
    This feels like the longest week at work ever! Hubby lent me £200 to see me through to the end of the month. I've not spent all of it luckily but need to pay him back tomorrow when I get paid.
    Can't wait for the long weekend and I go on holiday next week!! :)
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Wow, congrats! That's a huge milestone!

Have a wonderful holiday LMSTM :D
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport