So angry right now !!!

Just had a call from capita to say that my son does need a face to face assessment !!!!!!!

After all the evidence I sent in showing that he has a genetic disorder, I also sent in an ASD assessment from ed psyce, social worker assessment, print out from GP outling his medical conditions as well as having type 2 diabetes.

They are coming on Tuesday and are doing a home visit, I really do not see how the hell they cannot make a paper decision using all the evidence that I have sent in.

I feel as though they do not believe me and I got very upset on the phone as all I ever seem to do is fight for my son and it is exhausting.

I really don't have a problem with him being seen but I do have a problem when they cannot make a decision using all the evidence that I have provided.

I don't even know if my son will even come out of his room as that is his safe haven.

The assessor just told me on the phone that they will now make a decision by asking my son if he can pick items up and can he walk,
this I think is ridiculous as he doesn't have mobility problems he has a severe learning disability.

I am so angry right now oh and also his DLA file has not been sent over to them surprise surprise.

I told the lady on the phone that it is ok asking my son to pick up items and to walk but they don't see him when he need help toileting or showering or having a shave or not being able to cook for himself or not being able to do buttons up or laces and even down to not being able to ride a bike :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Any advice for me is gratefully received as to what to expect
Sammy
gave up smoking 07/01/09 :j:j:j

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No advice sorry, you could complain to your MP but the DWP are stubborn and refused 5 times to change my nil award one of those times was after the tribunal! It's an absolute farce
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    samanthag wrote: »
    Just had a call from capita to say that my son does need a face to face assessment !!!!!!!

After all the evidence I sent in showing that he has a genetic disorder, I also sent in an ASD assessment from ed psyce, social worker assessment, print out from GP outling his medical conditions as well as having type 2 diabetes.

They are coming on Tuesday and are doing a home visit, I really do not see how the hell they cannot make a paper decision using all the evidence that I have sent in.

I feel as though they do not believe me and I got very upset on the phone as all I ever seem to do is fight for my son and it is exhausting.

I really don't have a problem with him being seen but I do have a problem when they cannot make a decision using all the evidence that I have provided.

I don't even know if my son will even come out of his room as that is his safe haven.

The assessor just told me on the phone that they will now make a decision by asking my son if he can pick items up and can he walk,
    this I think is ridiculous as he doesn't have mobility problems he has a severe learning disability.

I am so angry right now oh and also his DLA file has not been sent over to them surprise surprise.

I told the lady on the phone that it is ok asking my son to pick up items and to walk but they don't see him when he need help toileting or showering or having a shave or not being able to cook for himself or not being able to do buttons up or laces and even down to not being able to ride a bike :eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Any advice for me is gratefully received as to what to expect
    Sammy

Is this PIP or ESA, you mention his DLA file not being passed over so it's not clear as based on parts of the post he appears to be an adult. so DLA could be ending?

Sometimes they just need a face to face assessement or a DM is unable to make a decison owing to possible contradictions on the paperwork.

It could also be they are unsure whether to award standard or enhanced if PIP based on the forms etc and want clarification by seeing him.
  • skeggysteve
    skeggysteve Posts: 134 Forumite
    Don't be angry use your energy to prepare for the face to face.

My wife had one recently with two people from ATOS, it wasn't as bad as we were worried it would be.

Just tell the truth but do not play down your son's condition alway tell them the worst case.

We were told that they wouldn't do any sort of physical assessment but they did, only a minor one, but the still did it.

My wife was awarded 12 point on mobility and 16 on the daily living bit.

Do you have a copy of the pip application and the other documents you sent? If you do don't be afraid to refer to them.

If you don't sleep well the night before the face to face tell them but explain that it's just because you have heard/read so many bad stories and you are very worried.

Good luck and use your energy to win!
  • samanthag
    samanthag Posts: 1,338
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just to be clear this is for PIP it is the first one after being awarded indefinite DLA when he was 17
  • Seems that as they clear the backlog that face 2 face is far more common than it was, the problem is that with pip it is far harder to give the full picture than it was on the 45 page dla forms.
    All you can do is see how it goes on the day then wait for their decision.
    Good luck
  • samanthag
    samanthag Posts: 1,338
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What I don't think is fair is if they make a decision based on whether he can pick things up and walk. I hope they take all the medical evidence into consideration, I will also phone the GP tomorrow and ask for a letter to outline exactly how his disabilities effect his daily life as proof that he needs 24 hour care.
    I really should not have to fight like this all the time his disability is never going to change the gap jus gets wider as he gets older, but I have to for his benefit because I am his mum
    sammy
  • CTcelt1988
    CTcelt1988 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Welcome to the world of the stubburn, incompetent and stupid DWP.
  • Your son does not have a terminal illness, he will have to have an assessment to complete his adult Personal Independence Payment [PIP] application just like everyone one else in these islands.

He will be asked about how his condition affects him even if you [the parent] already detailed it on his PIP claim form. Your time would be better spent helping him to present himself to the assessor. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • I dont have any affiliation with the website but it maybe worth looking at this website for more advice about the assessment. They also have forums which maybe worth asking people their experience

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-medical-assessments
  • toomuchinfo
    toomuchinfo Posts: 178
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I hope it goes well OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts