Prom Dress with security tag still attached

Options

Comments

• timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is a prom?

A school disco with ideas above it's station.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    LuFo wrote: »
    It's been suggested I ask for a partial refund as compensation at the very least

Whoever those people are I'd suggest subtly distance yourself from them!

It's not a nice or normal mentality to be associated with.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wait until she hits the real world of work, managing her finances etc. She will wish the only problem she had was an inconspicuous tag on a disco dress.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    compensation for what?? your daughter had the dress, wore it to her prom night so no reason for any compensation to be needed.

Quite wrong, Proms in the UK are a very serious matter and often regarded as all about announcing the child's arrival in the adult world!

So the OP should be pitching the level of compensation pretty high as the presence of this daud of plastic has just screwed-up the kid's future in an entirely irredeemable way and the dress shop will need to see that the poor kid is funded appropriately for the rest of its life.

Or something like that...!

Mind you, buying a dress off the rail from a shop is a bit B-List to begin with, so maybe the parent shouldn't get too above their station.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please Help!

I bought my daughter's prom dress back in January, she tried it on in the shop, and I paid for it, we brought it home and it hung in the wardrobe until the night of the Prom.

On the way to the Prom with friends she discovered that there was a security tag still attached, she rang me in tears, especially when I told her there was nothing that could be done - I thought that if someone tried to remove it they could ruin the dress altogether. She feels it partly ruined her night with her being self-conscious in case it showed, or even started beeping randomly.

I am intending going back to the (large, not inexpensive) store with the dress and receipt (yes I keep all receipts), what do you think I should say or do. It's been suggested I ask for a partial refund as compensation at the very least, but I am also worried that although I have the receipt I will somehow be accused of shoplifting! Also I don't understand why the alarm didn't go off when we left the store with it!

Sorry for such a long post but I am worried about what to do - she is still upset about it 2 days later.

Just go to the store/shop and ask for the tag to be removed simples. Some people have even gone to an unrelated shop and asked them to remove the tag, maybe try it.

As for any compensation, what losses have been incurred for the addition of the tag ?

So she's upset about the tag being on the dress 2 days (or more) after the event. Tell her to stop being upset. It happened, she needs to forget about it.
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Quite wrong, Proms in the UK are a very serious matter and often regarded as all about announcing the child's arrival in the adult world!

A bit of disappointment seems quite fitting then, really.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whenever I hear about proms and the cost that goes with them, I thank my lucky stars that this silly nonsense hadn't crossed the pond when my daughter was growing up!
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    She feels it partly ruined her night with her being self-conscious in case it showed, or even started beeping randomly.

... she is still upset about it 2 days later.
    This is exactly the point when you can teach the daughter a good life lesson - you can explain that sometimes things go wrong and it is how you deal with them that counts, or you can teach her that everything is always someone else's fault and how to become a drama queen.

If she is still upset 2 days after the prom then I fear she may have chosen the wrong route - the prom is over and done with.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    or you can teach her that everything is always someone else's fault and how to become a drama queen.

A prom queen is for 1 night only but a drama queen is for life
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Lucky girl, the only one at the Prom with a Prom Tag. Wow, I wish they had been around when I bought my Prom dress. On reflection, maybe that's why I was thrown out of the dance.
    Le_Kirk (Mr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport