Prom Dress with security tag still attached

Options
Please Help!

I bought my daughter's prom dress back in January, she tried it on in the shop, and I paid for it, we brought it home and it hung in the wardrobe until the night of the Prom.

On the way to the Prom with friends she discovered that there was a security tag still attached, she rang me in tears, especially when I told her there was nothing that could be done - I thought that if someone tried to remove it they could ruin the dress altogether. She feels it partly ruined her night with her being self-conscious in case it showed, or even started beeping randomly.

I am intending going back to the (large, not inexpensive) store with the dress and receipt (yes I keep all receipts), what do you think I should say or do. It's been suggested I ask for a partial refund as compensation at the very least, but I am also worried that although I have the receipt I will somehow be accused of shoplifting! Also I don't understand why the alarm didn't go off when we left the store with it!

Sorry for such a long post but I am worried about what to do - she is still upset about it 2 days later.

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LuFo wrote: »
    Please Help!

I bought my daughter's prom dress back in January, she tried it on in the shop, and I paid for it, we brought it home and it hung in the wardrobe until the night of the Prom.

On the way to the Prom with friends she discovered that there was a security tag still attached, she rang me in tears, especially when I told her there was nothing that could be done - I thought that if someone tried to remove it they could ruin the dress altogether. She feels it partly ruined her night with her being self-conscious in case it showed, or even started beeping randomly.

I am intending going back to the (large, not inexpensive) store with the dress and receipt (yes I keep all receipts), what do you think I should say or do. It's been suggested I ask for a partial refund as compensation at the very least, but I am also worried that although I have the receipt I will somehow be accused of shoplifting! Also I don't understand why the alarm didn't go off when we left the store with it!

Sorry for such a long post but I am worried about what to do - she is still upset about it 2 days later.

Did it go off and bleep? if not no problem

Do go back get the tag taken off. Some of the tags are known as soft tags, and don't actually ring anywhere, so I am told.

Surely your daughter tried it on before the prom, why did she or you notice it before, or when it was ironed.

Just put it down to life and more on, there are more important things going on in life. I would be worried more about her exams / results....
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I have two daughters who have both been through the prom phase. Your daughter must be unusual if she hasn't tried on the dress several times before the prom ... I'm surprised that the tag hasn't been seen beforehand, even when she was getting ready for the prom. This leads me to think the tag wasn't as prominent as you're making out.

Yes, the shop should have removed the tag. But you've had ample time since purchase to discover this and get it sorted prior to the prom. You have no claim for compensation, but if you go back to the shop and POLITELY explain what happened they'll remove the tag and may give you a gift card for the inconvenience.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughters prom was last Saturday. Her dress was on and off at least a dozen times before the night ! Whoever suggested asking for a partial refund is bonkers. Just take it back with the receipt and ask them to remove the tag. Teenage girls are prone to getting hysterical over nothing, it's done, nothing more to be done now.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    compensation for what?? your daughter had the dress, wore it to her prom night so no reason for any compensation to be needed.
  • LuFo
    LuFo Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    No, it didn't go off and bleep. The dress is a soft flowy material which does not get ironed. The tag was on the lining at the hem.
    She tried the dress on once more at home with her shoes - if you are not looking for something you don't necessarily notice it!
    No, if it had been noticed before I would have definitely gone back to get the tag removed.
    Yes, it may seem trivial, but she can't have that evening back to enjoy herself without being self-conscious.
    I will go back and see what they say.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found a tag on an item of clothing when I got home once, a bit of brute force with a hammer soon had it off with no damage to the item.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What are the losses you want compensation for?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Please Help!

You have the receipt so won't be accused of shoplifting. As others have said it is unlikely that the security tag was that noticeable as would have been noticed when trying on or prior to going to the prom.

I would also agree with the above post that teenage girls are prone to making dramas out of the slightest things and it doesn't surprise me that 2 days later your daughter is still claiming to be upset. My teens are similar drama queens.

Just take it back to the shop and get the tag removed. Please don't follow the bad advice someone has given you of trying to claim compensation.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, it didn't go off and bleep. The dress is a soft flowy material which does not get ironed. The tag was on the lining at the hem.
    She tried the dress on once more at home with her shoes - if you are not looking for something you don't necessarily notice it!
    No, if it had been noticed before I would have definitely gone back to get the tag removed.
    Yes, it may seem trivial, but she can't have that evening back to enjoy herself without being self-conscious.
    I will go back and see what they say.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The tag wasn't one of the big clumpy plastic ones then, if it was there's no way you would miss that on a soft flowy dress, granted you wouldn't notice it in the shop as you would expect it to be there, but as soon as she tried it on at home it would have been very noticeable when the dress has heavier on one side. So I'm guessin g it was one of the smaller ones.

If it was that unnoticeable it shouldn't have 'ruined' her night. I understand she is a teenage girl, I have one, they're prone to hysterics, but that doesn't mean as a parent you have to pander to her.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughters prom dress had a security tag on. One i've never seen before, it's a brilliant idea. It was a loop of tape, fastened with a metal clamp that couldn't be removed without cutting the tape. It went through the neck of the dress and out of the hem, completing a loop. It meant the dress could be tried on but there was no way it could have been worn whilst it was still in place. Stops the cheeky sods who wear stuff then take it back !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure