Prom Dress with security tag still attached

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    LuFo wrote: »
    On the way to the Prom with friends she discovered that there was a security tag still attached, she rang me in tears, especially when I told her there was nothing that could be done - I thought that if someone tried to remove it they could ruin the dress altogether. She feels it partly ruined her night with her being self-conscious in case it showed, or even started beeping randomly.
    If it didn't set the alarm off as you left the shop, why would it start 'beeping randomly'?
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    What is a prom?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    What is a prom?
    Yet another tradition imported from the USA which appears to involve the spending of eye-watering sums of money on dresses, shoes, limos, hair, make-up, nails just because your child is leaving school.

Strangely enough, I left school one Friday and started work the following Monday without the need for such fuss. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LuFo wrote: »
    It's been suggested I ask for a partial refund as compensation at the very least.
    Who has suggested this to you and why "at the very least"?

I'd say it's the most you might be offered and even then only to "compensate" you for the inconvenience of having to return to the shop.
    You certainly have no right of "compensation" when you've suffered no loss.

If you have the receipt, I'm sure the shop's staff will be happy to remove the tag without fuss.

As to why it didn't set the alarm off in the shop, it (or the actual alarm ) may be faulty. Not something you need to concern yourself with.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    What is a prom?

The secondary school my daughters go to call it a school leavers ball, but a lot of the teens call it prom because USA films call it that. It is a dance with a more formal type of dress code i.e. lads in suits and ties, girls in long formal dresses. In DDs school for the 16 year old leavers, they get a company in to decorate the school hall in a theme, have a red carpet to the hall from the car park and a band or disco, plus a buffet with soft drinks. Girls do usually have hair and make up done. Some will just turn up in parents cars and others may turn up in a limo. My daughter and friends had always wanted to go in our neighbours VW camper van and he very kindly drove them to the ball in that.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very surprised you did not notice it.

My daughter went over every inch of her prom dress to make sure it was perfect!!

There will be no problem taking it back to get the tag removed, it has happened to me before and they said it happens all the time.
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    How can a bit of plastic in the lining at the hemline of a dress ruin a Prom?

OP I don't wish to be unkind, but beyond getting it removed the best thing you can do for your daughter is to teach her to deal with little issues like that without it being allowed to affect her so much. Laugh about it with her, do not bolster her views that the night was ruined.

As for compensation, you have had ample time to check the dress over so I can't see why you would even entertain that thought.

To me this thread illustates the truism of the "generation snowflake" thread. As parents we can't pander to kids in this way or we set them up for unhappy lives.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I defer to Latrice Royale for my response. GGGGG

Good God Get a Grip Girl
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Tags don't beep by the way, it was never a risk.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Tags don't beep by the way, it was never a risk.

Haha........wondered when somebody would point that out.
    :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport