Best Value/Basics groceries?

Comments

• Hemera
    Hemera Posts: 57
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    It's actually 25% but I know what you're saying just look at the reviews....

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/diced--minced---meatballs/sainsburys-pork---beef-mince--basics-1kg

There are other options such as the Sainsbury's branded beef mince which is just 5% fat.

25% fat pork/beef mince is £3/kg
    20% fat beef mince is £4/kg
    10% fat beef mince is £5/kg
    5% fat beef mince is £6.60/kg

I know which one I would pick.
    I was referring to Tesco Everyday Value products, as stated at the beginning of my post ;)
    Their everyday value fresh mince was I believe 46% fat. Now I can't find it anymore on the website, and the pictures of the package I found on Google are too small to read the nutritional values, but I am fairly sure I remember correctly, because I bought it a few times when I was a broke student :o.

Now I mostly buy Tesco's 10% fat mince, I think it is a good proportion. Even 25% isn't bad, there are recipes that call for relatively fatty meat ("proper" bolognese is one of them for example). 46% is just too much.
  • bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've never really tried any Tesco Value branded products, But since i'm down to the bare bones financially, I'm going to have to make my money last, So i'll be buying things like value eggs,chicken and so on

Anyone recommend anything in particular that isn't actually that bad?

I have £42 to last me 3 weeks :( So i'll be on the basics, bread,milk,chicken,porridge and so on
  • juliesname
    juliesname Posts: 53
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi bones85,

I buy Tesco cheapest oats, fruit & veg (apart from huge parsnips as they can be woody), sultanas, long grain rice. Before dietary needs changed I used to buy bread, pasta twists, flour and cheese.

If you have Farmfoods nearby I find tinned tomatoes, eggs and fruit juice nicer there, and from Aldi eggs, bacon and chicken.

I don't buy Tesco cheapest frozen veg, sausages, mince or chicken.

There are other threads on this forum discussing Farmfoods/Iceland and Aldi/Lidl so you might want to have a look at those, if any are in easy reach.

hth

Julie.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,400
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    juliesname wrote: »
    If you have Farmfoods nearby I find tinned tomatoes, eggs and fruit juice nicer there, and from Aldi eggs, bacon and chicken.

There are other threads on this forum discussing Farmfoods/Iceland and Aldi/Lidl so you might want to have a look at those, if any are in easy reach.

hth

Julie.

I think you'll get the best value by doing as much of your shop as possible in Aldi or Lidl. Farmfoods can be good for a few branded offers and milk and certain brands of bread can be cheaper. Then and only then if there's something you really can't get in either of those stores then go to a big supermarket.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    The people saying that Sainsbury's basic stuffing doesn't taste nice. I think it was about 18 months ago that they changed the recipe and reduced the sage in it considerably.

I stopped buying it then and brought Sainsbury's next own brand up as it worked out as just the same price weight for weight when you brought the 140 gram packet.

Used to love the Paxo stuffing but as I have grown older I find that it's a bit too powerful in the 'flatulence' department. :eek:

There is only so many times you want to pick up the duvet after it's 'blown' onto the floor.:D
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Celia
    Celia Posts: 313
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Always worth comparing ingredients. Tesco Everyday Value cornflakes have identical ingredients (including proportion of fortified vitamins) as the next range up - last checked a few months ago. One is 25p and one is 99p.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Celia wrote: »
    Always worth comparing ingredients. Tesco Everyday Value cornflakes have identical ingredients (including proportion of fortified vitamins) as the next range up - last checked a few months ago. One is 25p and one is 99p.

Sainsbury's basic cornflakes were a good deal until recently when they put the price up from 25p to 50p in one go. Stopped buying them. Also I have noticed that the self is never empty anymore.;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    So far we love
    Pasta
    Lasagne sheets
    Chopped tomatoes
    Honey
    Jams/ marmalade/lemon curd
    Brown (whole meal) bread
    Fresh Bell peppers
    Fresh Cabbage
    Fresh Carrots
    fresh apples
    Fresh pears
    Tinned peaches
    Tinned custard
    Tomato soup
    Kidney beans
    Chocolate ( dark and milk)
    Raisins/ sultanas
    Rice crispies
    Cornflakes
    Porridge oats
    Powdered milk- for emergencies/ sauce
    Pasta sauce
    Curry sauce
    Gravy
    Baked beans
    Herbs

Not so good has been
    Tinned grapefruit
    White bread
    Toilet roll
    meat
    Chicken roll
    Sliced ham
    Sunflower spread
    Chicken breasts
    Tinned veg
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • emmaloux87
    emmaloux87 Posts: 144 Forumite
    bones85 wrote: »
    I've never really tried any Tesco Value branded products, But since i'm down to the bare bones financially, I'm going to have to make my money last, So i'll be buying things like value eggs,chicken and so on

Anyone recommend anything in particular that isn't actually that bad?

I have £42 to last me 3 weeks :( So i'll be on the basics, bread,milk,chicken,porridge and so on

Definitely get to Lidl or Aldi if you can, if not Tesco's farm range pretty much match their prices on fresh meat. Personally I wouldn't buy basics meat but in Lidl/Aldi you can buy a large whole chicken for about £4 ish which would easily last the week, can be made into a lot of different meals if you have time to cook? Also I make chilli by bulking up with a lot of beans it goes a long way if you do that
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I do like the Aldi chicken- sadly my nearest Aldi is a bit far but once the car is sorted I'll be right back in there
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure