Best Value/Basics groceries?

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,896
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Go very carefully with value rice crispies. I was faced with a determined mutiny when I tried to persuade the chaps this was breakfast.

Yes, four year olds can be wrong, but mine said they didn't taste nice, and fed me a spoonful. The little so-&-so was absolutely right.

They tasted *vile* and the texture was all wrong & we ended up feeding the stuff to the ducks who were looking pretty dubious by packet end.

Mashed spud powder, with plenty of hot milk & butter, is still popular over a decade later.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    There are quite a few threads on this kind of subject if you search but another vote here for value dried pasta. I actually splashed out on some wholemeal bows for a change and got moaned at they weren't as nice as the 'normal' pasta :rotfl:
    • Mushy peas get the vote here as i prefer less peas more 'juice'
    • Value bread for eggy bread / egg and soldiers etc
    • OH has value spaghetti hoops if I buy them and macaroni cheese (yes he likes it I think its vile stuff)
    • Jaffa cakes taste fine - just smaller
    • Value fruit and veg (fresh) (who cares if its mis-shaped / smaller etc)
    • Did find value frozen broccoli / cauli a bit watery but would try it again, frozen sweetcorn fine imo
      • value instant noodles - fine for a quick snack once in a while

Have shopped in Lidl a lot for the past couple of years which tend not to have so many brand levels.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I like MrT's mushy peas and their baked beans but I warm then up in a pan, I think they need the extra cooking time and don't microwave them. I also like either oven chips, I look for dark ones if you get my jest.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    The Waitrose Essentials strong bread flours are really good.

I use the white for pizza bases and the brown and the wholewheat (all 95p for 1.5kg) for bread - the quality is consistently good and I've never had a failure even in the bread machine.

I also use their plain and SR flour - 80p for 1.5kg.
    :hello:
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Hiya

I often add stuff to basics range stuff which then gives a superior result. So stuffing for example - I grow my own sage in a pot and few leaves finely chopped and added to 'basic' range stuffing changes it entirely!! Lasagne, I agree - you ve added a tasty sauce so no one would know its basics/value.
    Gravy - sorry but I have never understood the why of gravy granules - use the juices at the bottom of the roasting pan, thicken with a little four and add some of the veg water to give volume - boil add a splash of soy sauce and there's a FREE gravy. If not doing a roast then slowly saute an onion and repeat above procedure. Gravy granules are an expense I have never needed and are rarely used in commercial kitchens.
    Other addings include basalmic vinegar to salads rather than buying salad dressing - making my own garlic oil - heat oil and garlic in a pan for few moments - strain off garlic - bottle up in a CS kilner jar - leave for a few weeks. Done!
    So much more...... but wont bore you!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    my best value buys

frozen peas
    frozen sweetcorn
    tinned chopped tomatoes
    bake at home bread
    hot chocolate (I add extra cocoa powder, as the only difference between the value and more expensive versions are more cocoa powder - much cheaper to buy separately and make your own)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I use basic SR and plain flour and I have never had a problem with it I'm not great on tinned stuff although I keep a couple of tins of potatoes in the cupboards and use them to bulk out curries,casseroles etc or sliced and fried in an omelette or washed and diced in a salad.Bean are fine as they usually go with a jacket spud and grated cheese on top . I use bisto powder to make gravy as I am not keen on granules.Basic stock cubes are fine for making soups with,also basic beetroot in jars are fine in salads.tinned tomatoes usually are used in other meals as I never eat them on their own so are fine in spag bols,curries or lasagnas
    .Lasagna sheets are just as good in the basic range as the more expensive ones they are getting covered in sauce anyway. There are so many basic nits you can try and often its trial and error depending on personal taste.
  • queengoth
    queengoth Posts: 135 Forumite
    Probably quicker to say what has to be branded to be fair, brown sauce has to be Hp, tomato sauce has to be Heinz and sweet corn has to be green giant, everything else is fair game.
    Of the value ranges I actually prefer tinned new spuds from Sainsburys (about 20p) and Tesco everyday teabags (20p) tesco value range is now down to just 1/2 shelf now in my local and the value beetroot and veggie stock cubes have disappeared. I'm another one for adding my own twists and the stuffing gets an extra spoon of dried herbs and a chopped up onion.
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    kimplus8 wrote: »
    Is that a personal spreadsheet MJ or one on here I can look at??
    The kids are not keen on fish except tuna and battered fish fingers, I picked up some reduced salmon so I'm going to try them with that and see what they think.
    They love mince and onions in gravy so the 25p granules will be perfect just for that, I've also heard that the value lasagne sheets are nice?? Anyone know?

It's a personal spreadsheet and I highly recommend making one.

Your tastes will be different to mine.

Try everything once. Some things you'll love and some things you'll hate and some are acceptable. The next time you go shopping the spreadsheet will remind you whether you and your family like it or not. There are hundreds of own brand items I can't remember which was good or bad.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • queengoth wrote: »
    Probably quicker to say what has to be branded to be fair, brown sauce has to be Hp, tomato sauce has to be Heinz and sweet corn has to be green giant, everything else is fair game.
    Of the value ranges I actually prefer tinned new spuds from Sainsburys (about 20p) and Tesco everyday teabags (20p) tesco value range is now down to just 1/2 shelf now in my local and the value beetroot and veggie stock cubes have disappeared. I'm another one for adding my own twists and the stuffing gets an extra spoon of dried herbs and a chopped up onion.

I used to always buy greengiant sweetcorn on pain of death if anything else was suggested, but discovered Lidls tinned sweetcorn is just as good and about a third of the price!

I find most of the value range stuff is just as good as the premium stuff, you just have to adapt it to suit you - the cheapest mushy peas taste just as good if you let them simmer for 20 minutes ... same with cheap soup - a slow simmer and theyre transformed into rich flavoursome soups ...

like others have said, a lot of its trial and error but don't be afraid to adapt and add to make it suit you and your family :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family