Flight Stikes and Compensation - Cruise 118- Failed to inform us about canceled fligh

Options
I booked a cruise with a tour operator (cruise 118) with a barcelona stop over for one night before i was due to sail. We were due to arrive at barcelona at 9am. We paid extra for a morning flight to get a full day and for a high standard hotel (roof top bar and swimming pool)

I arrived at the airport at 4am to find my flight canceled due to strike action.
Ryanair had told my tour operator at 1pm the previous day who failed to tell me.
The tour operated was not open until 9am and had not booked us any new flights.

We were stuck at the airport and booked alternative flights (the best available) which had to fly us to brussels then on to barcelona. We arrived in barcelona at 11pm.

The tour operator is not accepting any responsibility for not telling us.

They will refund the flight cost and refund 1 days worth of the holiday.

We dont think this is fair, the experience was awful and stressful. They did not tell us the flight was canceled, they did not rebook a flight for us and they were not open when we arrived at the airport to have no flight.

We would like compensation for their poor lack of service and failures. Do we have a leg to stand on.

They are ABTA and ATOL protected.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what compensation would you believe is 'fair'.
    Strikes are unfortunate and it is often the airlines and agents that take the brunt of frustration and expense of someone else actions that is nothing to do with them
    Assuming you were reimbursed for the new flights that you purchased and these were the best option to get there, would have there have been a great difference had you been advised the day before that your flight had been cancelled and you were now rebooked on flights via Brussels...you would have been in exactly the same situation but would have known about it in advance
    As a regular traveller, these things do happen on occasion and are frustrating but you are currently not out of pocket and the fact that you did not arrive earlier is more to do with the strikers action than the agency not advising you in advance
    Out of interest did the Ryanair website not show the flight as cancelled?
    Might be worth seeing what your travel insurance covers for delayed arrival and 'stress'...some policies offer £20 or so for each 12 hour delay so you may be due something from them
  • scg048957
    Options
    Hi Thanks for getting back to me.

Even if it was just £50 each ( Two travelers). Ryainair told Cruise 118 who didnt tell us, they didnt arrange new flights either and all of this happening at 4am was very stressful. We then had to wait in the airport untill 11am when our new flight was due to depart. Had we been told we would not have had to wait around tired and worried whether we had made the right decision. As our tour oporator wasn't open until 9am.

As they were told the day before I believe it was their job to react to the flight delays and reorganise our holiday, this burden was passed on to us and this was very distressing. (if we could not arrive at the port in time we would miss a full cruise).

Iv had flight delays before (even 14 hour ones) I understand these things happen but its just their lack of communication and organisation thats the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure