Options

Comments

• kraken776
    kraken776 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Yep, it's basics.

What I find genuinely worrying is this (his bold):

Within the 200m of road between Bradstocks Way (the "road on the right") and the chicane there are 6 private entrances on the left (several with high hedges) plus a field entrance and a farm track - both partially concealed, 2 speed bumps, and 13 (!!) private entrances on the right, again many partially concealed by hedges.

Note that those 13 entrances (that's one every 15 metres, or just under one per second at 30mph) are on the side that he pulled across to which not only limits his view past the hedges but puts him in an unexpected position for anyone emerging.

Yet there was, to quote him again, "NOT ONE" hazard in that stretch of road!!!!

I see

And would you mind explaining to me how any of those make overtaking a cyclist unsafe.
    or how they make overtaking at all more unsafe than regular driving?
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Options
    kraken776 wrote: »
    I see

And would you mind explaining to me how any of those make overtaking a cyclist unsafe.

How was it unsafe?

I'll give you a clue, you knocked him off.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see

You really are kidding, right?

I assume you have passed a UK driving test? If so then you really shouldn't need someone else to explain that to you. If you do need someone to explain it then I'd honestly suggest clicking here
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Options
    You really are kidding, right?

I assume you have passed a UK driving test? If so then you really shouldn't need someone else to explain that to you. If you do need someone to explain it then I'd honestly suggest clicking here

He's probably on an international licence.
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    How was it unsafe?

Not to mention the risk of someone - car, dog, child, tractor etc - emerging from one of those many hidden entrances to find a car in an unexpected place travelling close to the speed limit despite the calming measures that council's been kind enough to provide to discourage such idiocy.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I see

I think he did:

Note that those 13 entrances (that's one every 15 metres, or just under one per second at 30mph) are on the side that he pulled across to which not only limits his view past the hedges but puts him in an unexpected position for anyone emerging.

How often, when driving regularly, do you drive for tens of metres on the wrong side of the road past entrances, which to all intents and purposes, are mini-junctions? It's conceivable that a resident could look to their right, see nothing coming from the direction of the chicane and turn left....to be met by you barrelling along towards them. I'm not saying that they shouldn't check both directions, but it's possible someone wouldn't. That's why what you did was more unsafe than regular driving. Regular driving does not usually take place on the wrong side of the road.

No matter how you dress it up, now we've seen the location, it's obvious that a little patience would have been more sensible. Even if you didn't see the cycle lane or register the significance of the gates, surely you could see the chicane coming up? Why didn't you just wait the 50-odd metres and few extra seconds to get past, rather than what I suspect you did which was to try and get ahead before those cyclists delayed your progress through the chicane.
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    [...] I'm not saying that they shouldn't check both directions, but it's possible someone wouldn't. That's why what you did was more unsafe than regular driving. Regular driving does not usually take place on the wrong side of the road.

No doubt his answer to that will be that he can't be responsible for their mistakes and if they're not infallibly perfect and don't check for his idiotic driving then it's their fault.

In other words, "I can drive like a !!!!! because everyone else should be observing and anticipating perfectly to avoid me".
  • kraken776
    Options
    Not to mention the risk of someone - car, dog, child, tractor etc - emerging from one of those many hidden entrances

Which would have been exactly the same hazard at any other moment, overtaking, especially at a slow speed within the speed limit does not make these hazards worse in any way.
    to find a car in an unexpected place .

Nope
    I was not in an unexpected place, when you pull out of a driveway you look in both directions.
    travelling close to the speed limit despite the calming measures that council's been kind enough to provide to discourage such idiocy.

I feel that i absolutely must point this out the absurdity what you have said here

Driving close to the speed limit, that is bellow the speed limit
    bellow the recognized safe speed
    is EXCEEDING the standard of driving that is considered to be safe

You have stupidly picked on a behavior that EXCEEDS safe standards and described it as idiocy and in doing so have demonstrated idiocy yourself
  • kraken776
    Options
    How was it unsafe?

I have already stated many times that i did not knock him off
    You really need to stop repeating this because by failing to learn you are just showing stupidity

I have also stated many times that even if i did knock him of it would prove nothing because it could have been his fault.

Your apparent inability to understand this after i have said it soo many times also shows stupidity
  • kraken776
    Options
    I think he did:

How often, when driving regularly, do you drive for tens of metres on the wrong side of the road past entrances, which to all intents and purposes, are mini-junctions? It's conceivable that a resident could look to their right, see nothing coming from the direction of the chicane and turn left....to be met by you barrelling along towards them. I'm not saying that they shouldn't check both directions, but it's possible someone wouldn't. That's why what you did was more unsafe than regular driving. Regular driving does not usually take place on the wrong side of the road.

No matter how you dress it up, now we've seen the location, it's obvious that a little patience would have been more sensible. Even if you didn't see the cycle lane or register the significance of the gates, surely you could see the chicane coming up? Why didn't you just wait the 50-odd metres and few extra seconds to get past, rather than what I suspect you did which was to try and get ahead before those cyclists delayed your progress through the chicane.

I did not wait for the chicane because it was far enough ahead for me to complete my maneuver long before i reached it. therefore it was irrelevant.

Furthermore my overtake was in no way impatient
    I already explained how i spend some time observing the cyclists before attempting an overtake on an open and clear stretch of road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure