WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Options

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As the second more expansive story notes:

'A DWP spokesman said: "The equalisation of the State Pension age was announced over 20 years ago and rights a longstanding inequality.

"Women retiring today can still expect to receive a higher State Pension over their lifetime than any women before them, and 10 per cent more State Pension than men of their age because they will on average live longer."
    '

This WASPI is simply asking for blatant gender discrimination against men in the form of around £80 billion in payments to women regardless of financial need who had 20 years of notice and more than a decade ago personal letters sent to everyone using their last known address who hadn't already received a statement telling them their state pension age. Disregarding widespread publicity campaigns and personal letters isn't a reason to collect at the expense of other state pensioners, both men and women, who would have to pay the bill.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2016 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Rip Off Britain running an item with a woman whose "dreams for retirement have been shattered". Still thought they would receive their sp at 60 :p
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fortunately the government has recognised that particular rip-off so we're safe for the moment.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sarah Pennells was confident the government were going to do something about it :rotfl:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Rip Off Britain running an item with a woman whose "dreams for retirement have been shattered". Still thought they could retire at 60 :p
    Any woman who really believes she can 'retire' at 60 can't have worked (outside the home) for at least the last 20 years, so where does 'retirement' come into it?
    Save
  • Mortgagefreeman
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Sarah Pennells was confident the government were going to do something about it :rotfl:

I expect she's also confident of wining the lotto rollover tonight.:D
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As one of those women whose retirement age has changed (yes I did know) a few times I dont actually have a complaint but a question. I am still working but dont wish to defer my state pension just to get a bit extra and now cant defer to get a lump sum payment. If I take my pension I will incur tax - interest rates are low so what are my options? If any. I am not in higher rate tax bracket or anything exciting.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When will you reach SPA?

Do you expect to draw a private/occupational pension?

What will your tax position be when you give up paid employment?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Any woman who really believes she can 'retire' at 60 can't have worked (outside the home) for at least the last 20 years, so where does 'retirement' come into it?
    Save
    I 'retired' at age 50 after working full-time for over 33 years.

I didn't expect to get my state pension at 60, unlike some of these women - it's state pension age we're talking about, not 'retirement'.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Rip Off Britain running an item with a woman whose "dreams for retirement have been shattered". Still thought they would receive their sp at 60 :p
    I have watched that program. The featured WASPI women all seem to have / have had jobs that provide them with a final salary pension. Not a mention of that - shame on the Rip Off Britain team.

No mention either of who would pay for these WASPI. Not one word about the taxpayer being ripped off if WASPI got their way. More shame on the Rip Off Britain team.

I could be wrong but I think the one who said she is in financial hardship appeared in demos and in TV programmes all over the country. I wonder who pays her travel costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure