Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged) - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
261 replies 26.1K views

Replies

• daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a good basic recipe that gives good detail but I want to make a chocolate one and my head's in a flap and all the recipe's I can think of use chocolate (except Nigella's guiness cake and I'm not making that for a school sale LOL) but I don't have any and can't get out.

I usually use:
    440g butter/sugar/SRflour
    8 medium eggs

How much flour should I sub with cocoa do you think? I want a decent chocolate flavour and the cake is quite sweet as it stands so I think it can take quite a large hit without worrying about it becoming bitter. 50g? 75g? More?

The main thing is that it needs to be a dense crumb so that the detail of the pan isn't lost so I'm not really up for trying a radically different recipe.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • morwennamorwenna Forumite
    844 posts
    I usually use the chocolate cake part from Nigella's Coffee/Chocolate Volcano which uses 80g cocoa powder. Also, if you have it, instant espresso power (just a tsp) makes a chocolate cake more chocolatey without tasting of coffee
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just taken a look, I'm guessing the cake might be a bit too soft for my purposes but it's still very helpful thank you, as looking at the proportions it would seem 25% cocoa isn't impossible.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did you get on? Ive merged this with our chocolate cake thread

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• SueC_2SueC_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I gave this one a go at the weekend.

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/

Seriously good.

Although it uses chocolate so is no good for your current needs.

But still, seriously good. And I mean, seriously!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I want to bake my brother a chocolate birthday cake tomorrow. I usually make a traditional chocolate cake (ie equal flour, butter, sugar, eggs etc). I have also made the Nigella chocolate fudge cake twice. He loves fudge cake but the Nigella recipe is pretty convoluted!

Do any of you have favourite chocolate cake recipes you could share? You would make me very happy :)

x
  • shiprob195shiprob195 Forumite
    745 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have been baking this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake
    cake for over 2 years now. It tastes amazing. Friends always ask for me to make them one for their birthday present.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • aliaddsaliadds Forumite
    26.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Bero milk chocolate cake recipe :)
    Less is more
  • edited 12 August 2012 at 3:44PM
    Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K posts
    edited 12 August 2012 at 3:44PM
    BLACK FOREST GATEAU

One of the world’s classic desserts. The name comes from the colourless cherry brandy, called “Black Forest cherry water” (Schwarzwälder Kirschwasser), which is traditionally used to flavour it. In Germany, it must contain this to be legally sold as a Black Forest gateau. However, in domestic recipes, the more readily available sweet cherry brandy or cherry liqueur are usually used. In Austria, dark rum is usually used.

This version isn’t like the ones you can buy, which are poor imitations of the real thing, It doesn’t use flour, so it’s amazingly light.

Serves 6

INGREDIENTS

1 teaspoon of sunflower oil
    6 large eggs
    150g of caster sugar
    4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
    300ml of double cream
    1 tablespoon of caster sugar
    400g tin of morello cherries
    50g of dark chocolate

METHOD

Line the bottom of 2 x 20cm (8 inch) sponge cake tins with a circle of the greaseproof paper and coat the paper and the sides of the tin with the oil.

Break the eggs into a bowl, and pick out any bits of shell. Separate the eggs by lifting out the yolks with a spoon. Put them into another bowl.

Add the 150g of caster sugar to the egg yolks. Beat with a fork or whisk with a whisk until they go pale and thicken. Sprinkle the cocoa powder onto the mixture, a little at a time, and gently fold it in (see below) with a spoon.

Beat or whisk the egg whites until they are stiff.

Add a tablespoon of egg white to the mixture and gently fold it in (see below) with a spoon. Then add and fold in the rest.

Put half of the mixture into each cake tin and smooth the tops flat.

Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C, 350°F or gas mark 4 for 15 to 20 minutes until the tops are firm and springy to touch.

Turn the cakes out of the tins and leave to cool. When they are just warm, peel off the greaseproof paper.

When you are ready to serve, put the cream and the tablespoon of sugar into a clean bowl. Beat with a fork or whisk with a whisk until it is “floppy”. This is firmer than when you started, but not solid.

Open the tin of cherries and drain off the juice, keeping 3 tablespoons of it in a cup. If they still have the stones in them, remove them (see below). Keep 12 of the least mangled ones for decoration. Cut the rest into slices.

Put one of the cakes onto a plate. Pour the cherry juice over it. Spread half of the cream over it. Put the sliced cherries on top. Put the other cake on top. Spread the rest of the cream over it. Arrange the whole cherries around the edge. Grate the chocolate over the top.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

Add 2 tablespoons of cherry brandy, cherry liqueur, cherry water or dark rum to the cherry juice.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • shipr!!!95 wrote: »
    I have been baking this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake
    cake for over 2 years now. It tastes amazing. Friends always ask for me to make them one for their birthday present.

Hi,

Can you taste the coffe in it? I hate coffee. Do you think it would be ok to leave it out. Bit of a baking novice but might give it a go. :)