Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged) - Page 26

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
261 replies 26.1K views

Replies

• amalisamalis Forumite
    532 posts
    Thannks for advice! I am now very excited to try it.
  • sonastinsonastin Forumite
    3.2K posts
    For a really simple chocolate cake, use the simple sponge recipe but replace some (about a quarter) of the self raising flour with cocoa powder. Again, I just sandwich together with nutella and (sometimes!) sieve icing sugar on top.
  • Mr T are selling chocolate fudge cake for £3! :grin:
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've probably been shopping/ baking already but I always recommend

Nigella's Chocolate Guinness cake

It's dead simple, no creaming or folding in necessary, just lob it in a saucepan bit by bit and then pour into your tin and bake. It has to be the most popular cake I have ever made - and I've made it a few dozen times 'on request' LOL. Warning for first time makers: yes, it is supposed to be that runny (make sure your pan doesn't leak LOL)
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • amalisamalis Forumite
    532 posts
    I havent baked yet, will do this tonight. I am unsure about which cocoa to buy. I have a pure black cocoa at home, no sugar there- very untasty, is this what I need for baking? Or the sugary type for cocoa drink?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Yes, you need the unsweetened stuff for baking - tastes revolting on it's own!

Might try the Guinness cake myself - sounds tasty, thanks to daska for the recipe.
  • nuathanuatha Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    amalis wrote: »
    I havent baked yet, will do this tonight. I am unsure about which cocoa to buy. I have a pure black cocoa at home, no sugar there- very untasty, is this what I need for baking? Or the sugary type for cocoa drink?

Pure cocoa is what you need for baking, you'll be suprised at how tasty it is.
    Incidentally the pure cocoa makes wonderful hot chocolate, blend two teaspoons with a little milk in the bottom of a mug until its smooth and creamy, top up mug with boiled milk and sweeten to taste.
    HTH
  • I need to make a cake this evening for my Mum's 65th birthday tomorrow, the kind of cake with choc fingers all round and choc dipped strawberries piled on top, thing is i just cant find a choc cake recipe i like the look of, HELP 0:( please :o
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • Sweetie83Sweetie83 Forumite
    53 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well not sure about the topping but I make my cake as follows;

175g SR Flour
    1tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    175g sugar
    175g butter (I use stork)
    3 eggs.

160 degrees for 20 mins (fan assisted oven)

Choc frosting:

75g butter (again I use stork)
    175g icing sugar
    splash milk
    3 tbsp cocoa powder

Then on top you can decorate how you want. Sometimes I do choc sprinkles, sometimes buttons or as you say just dip strawberries in choc and leave to set then put them on top. Good luck!
    Lovely family with DH and 2 DD, looking to be mortgage free at 50
  • SeakaySeakay Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one uses chocolate fingers, and you could substitute strawberries for the Maltesers
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/507454/sally-hudson-s-chocolate-heaven-cake