Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged) - Page 25

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
261 replies 26.1K views

Replies

• GigervampGigervamp Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I make Pam Corbin's recipe and use a tub of Betty Crocker frosting. It's lovely and moist.
  • chris_n_tjchris_n_tj Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have made the Bero choc cake now for over 25 years. I have tired others but they are not a patch on the Bero one. In fact I think i need to make chocolate cake now lol x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • dinx1972dinx1972 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Mary Berry's Death by Chocolate Cake, this recipe rolls out for every birthday celebration and is requested as a make by all family and friends.
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • shiprob195shiprob195 Forumite
    745 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    tumbletots wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you taste the coffe in it? I hate coffee. Do you think it would be ok to leave it out. Bit of a baking novice but might give it a go. :)

I can't taste the coffee in mine.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • shiprob195shiprob195 Forumite
    745 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    dragonlily wrote: »
    Thank you so much! This looks fantastic and I think the reviews on it probably speak for themselves! I will definitely try it out. What do you do for the chocolate curls, I'd love to do something similar just for the look of the cake while it is for a special occasion :)

I have never attempted to make the chocolate curls. I normally just grate some plain chocolate over the top, use strawberries dipped in chocolate. Or if its for a child, I use white/ milk chocolate buttons.

It is an expensive cake to make, but I sometimes subsitute butter for cooking marg. And use supermarket "value" dark chocolate instead of high cocoa chocolate.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    as this has dropped down the board, ive merged it with our chocolate cake thread

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• amalisamalis Forumite
    532 posts
    Hi Ladies,

My in laws are going to visit us on Saturday morning and I know they like chocolate cakes. I am not an experiences cook and I baked just 2x in my life , which was a simple sponge (came out good!). I would like to bake a cake for them, but need trusted and fool-proof recipes which would not require a lot of ingredients. Can anyone share some recipes with me, please?
    To be MS I would prefer recipes with self-raising flour because I have a lot at home.
    Thank you!
  • JulieMJulieM Forumite
    743 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    This is my all time favourite chocolate cake recipe. It's easy to make and always comes out lovely and moist. www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/521805/easter-chocolate-fudge-cake

I don't bother with the icing or decoration, I just use it for the basic recipe and sandwich together with nutella. Vanilla extract is expensive to buy so if you don't have any, just leave it out.
  • amalisamalis Forumite
    532 posts
    Thank you! Just what I needed.
    There is some golden syrup in recipe, can i leave it out? I dont know what is it.
    Also, how important is bicarbonate of soda?
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden syrup is only about 80p from the supermarket, you can use up what's left in your porridge or on toast, yes it does make a difference, so don't leave it out, as is the bicarb.

When you have finished sieve some icing sugar on the top.

Good luck with it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.