Pregnant Dog ?

Options
How can you tell whether your dog is pregnant or not ? She was mated 2 weeks ago and since then she has not been herself. She sleeps a lot more and is extremely quiet but wants fussing. I am getting a bit worried as she is just not herself.

Comments

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very hard to tell until your dog is near her due date, which is when her teats will enlarge and she may then look bigger.

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was pregnant at the beginning of the year and she didn't look at all fat and showed no signs of being pregnant. But towards the last couple of weeks her teats looked quite enlarged and so we took her for a scan. The vet could only see one pup and this was what she had - one little, sweet girl! Each dog is different and you can tell with some more than others.
  • piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    I thought you could test after so long? as their food intake needs to be changed etc to accomadate for the puppies that are due ?
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • moj1966
    moj1966 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    there are pregancy test that can be used after 20 days or normally a scan between day 27-33 can be helpful to find out approx how many pups she could be carrying. I have just had my !!!!! mated but I am going to wait until day 30 for a scan.

Most say she is displaying a couple of different behaviours like marking then flicking the soil as far as possiable.

good luck what breed do you have
  • krispy444
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, she is a cocker spaniel. If she is pregnant she is about 14 days. I will keep an eye on her. I have heard that they can reabsorb puppies so i don't think i will get her scanned, i will get the vet to check her out though.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :p My lab was sick a couple of times, and the hair around her nipples came off ready for the pups.If it's an intentional mating, you will be more aware to look for the signs than if it was an accidental one.Good luck either way:p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just bumping up this thread because I ask the same question. My new foster dog came from a puppy farm on saturday. She was in contact with a Pug male and the puppy farmer dumped her and said that if she is pregnant then the pups would be no good because they will be crossbred :rolleyes:

Anyway, how would I tell? Shes not fat but still seems hungry after her food and I don't want to underfeed her if she is pregnant. I'm going to take her to the vets for a checkup so hopefully they will tell.

I'm just curious to know how long after mating would a dog start to show she is pregnant?
  • moj1966
    moj1966 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    I'm just bumping up this thread because I ask the same question. My new foster dog came from a puppy farm on saturday. She was in contact with a Pug male and the puppy farmer dumped her and said that if she is pregnant then the pups would be no good because they will be crossbred :rolleyes:

Anyway, how would I tell? Shes not fat but still seems hungry after her food and I don't want to underfeed her if she is pregnant. I'm going to take her to the vets for a checkup so hopefully they will tell.

I'm just curious to know how long after mating would a dog start to show she is pregnant?
    my dog started showing signs after about 14 days but i have had her from a pup so know how she reacts, behaves.
    signs i noticed constant hunger ( but you need to be careful because if they put on to much weight it will cause problems in labor)
    drinking more water
    not wanting to play with other dogs
    being clingy
    sleeping more.
    I would buy the book of the !!!!! if you have a female dog. its full of amazing info.
    what breed is she ?
    personaly i would get her scanned day 30 is a good start.
    as there is considerations to be made re feeding, worming, flea treatment just like us there are certain things you should avoid when pregnant
  • krispy444
    Options
    Hi, just thought I would let you know, that my dog still looks as if she is pregnant and the pups should be due this week. She has slept an awful lot, she doesn't really play with my other dog, and she wants a lot of fuss. We have now made a whelping box and have towells and sheets etc at the ready. I am now getting nervous as not sure what we got ourselves into. We have taken her to the vets who said she thought she could feel something a few weeks ago but I have not had her scanned. So we will wait and see. Not sure if I'm going to make a very good doggy midwife :eek:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get this book(the book of the b@tch asap as it helped me through 2 successful whelpings with my old lab.Good luck and let us see the pics when the babes arrive:D :D
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended&field-keywords=the%20book%20of%20the%20!!!!!&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-2_aps-books-uk_200707385_2&results-process=default

The book isnt showing now on amazon cos of this sites filter but the title is the book of the b i t c h, and it's a great book.
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    krispy444 wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I would let you know, that my dog still looks as if she is pregnant and the pups should be due this week. She has slept an awful lot, she doesn't really play with my other dog, and she wants a lot of fuss. We have now made a whelping box and have towells and sheets etc at the ready. I am now getting nervous as not sure what we got ourselves into. We have taken her to the vets who said she thought she could feel something a few weeks ago but I have not had her scanned. So we will wait and see. Not sure if I'm going to make a very good doggy midwife :eek:

Aww goodluck grandma :D

I took my foster dog to the vet today (they didn't charge me) they couldn't feel any pups but they said she is swelling up underneath so they said bring her back in a fortnight and they will do a free scan, which by then i'd be able to tell but at least i'd know roughly how many :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure