MSE News: Boost for broadband users as 10Mbps minimum speed is billed

Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Broadband users have received a boost in the form of plans to introduce the legal right to a "fast broadband connection"...
Read the full story:
'Boost for broadband users as 10Mbps minimum speed is billed'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their is going to be an eventually in that some-place .
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proposals to introduce a new 'Broadband Universal Service Obligation' under the Digital Economy Bill would guarantee all consumer and business broadband users a 'fast connection', which the Government would expect to be a minimum speed of 10Mbps.
    Sorry, just had to pick myself up off the floor laughing. Meanwhile in the real world they can't manage to get a 56k connection to many places, how the hell are they going to manage 10Mbps.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good heavens, you mean you can't legislate it so that:

1. All prisoners are reformed into honest productive citizens,

2. All !!!!!philes are re-educated into nurturing foster parents, and

3. Only Czech oversexed super models are allowed in as immigrants.

I was so sure that things only don't work out right because they don't get the wording just right. :D
  • LHW99LHW99 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was also proposed that the "very remotest properties" may be expected to contribute to the cost of installation for superfast broadband services.

And who decides what counts as "remotest? We are only three miles away from the nearest small town, and mains water and gas aren't here yet - so I don't hold out much hope for (super)fast broadband.
    The costs of getting any of them out here would be horrendous!
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've started already...

5ocjfd.jpg
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When BT can consider that whole villages are not cost effective to upgrade to ADSL2 (needed for 10M+) then a few houses will not even figure in the equation.

This sounds like an idea from somebody who doesn't really have a clue about the real life problems of achieving this
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    unforeseen wrote: »
    This sounds like an idea from somebody who doesn't really have a clue about the real life problems of achieving this
    It'll be the Ministry for Silly Ideas. They figure prominently in most broadband pronouncements. They have several departments one for the altering of economic realities and another for amending the laws of physics.

I think this one came from the Jam Tomorrow section.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LHW99 wrote: »
    And who decides what counts as "remotest? We are only three miles away from the nearest small town, and mains water and gas aren't here yet - so I don't hold out much hope for (super)fast broadband.
    The costs of getting any of them out here would be horrendous!

It does seem a bit unfair, since spending thousands to bring you 10Mbps will double your house price.

Why don't they just subsidise two way satellite broadband?
  • OscargrouchOscargrouch Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quote from Article " Latest Ofcom figures show the average UK broadband speed reached 28.9Mbps in November 2015 – 6.1Mbps faster than the previous year".

Yes, right, where do Ofcom come up with those averages then?? Sat in a town in the Midlands, 3 Mbps if I am lucky...Like the average wage I guess...Too many getting too much and banging up the averages.....coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    FTTC and or cable is available in most towns now so it's not that surprising.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals