We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Possible fraud by my mother/brother with a Mobility car

Options

Comments

• surveyqueenuk
    surveyqueenuk Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    playaz wrote: »

I love my mother dearly but for the life cannot understand why she has been given such a high PIP payments, while she won't be running the London Marathon anytime soon to me she seems to be in what I would consider a 'normal' overall health for someone of her age.

Something to consider - in cases of benefit fraud, the claimant will get a criminal record, will have to repay the appropriate amount and will incur any punishment the court sees fit. If you believe there to be anything spurious about your mothers affairs then you may want to have a think about the consequences of drawing attention to them.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst it always amazes me that such high spec cars are available on the mobility scheme, I can't see what fraud has been committed, with the possible exception of your brother using your mum's address (even if that would be considered fraud)

If the brother's using the car for his own needs the terms of the lease are being broken. More importantly it's road tax fraud. Motability cars are automatically tax exempt and the conditions of that exemption are that the car can only be used for the good of the claimant.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the insurance is going to be interesting...
    Q1. where is the car kept?
    Q2 Does the named driver have any criminal convictions?
    Q3 Estimated annual mileage?

When these things don't add up to what motorbility have been told I can see this getting seized by the police at some point for no insurance.

Insurance is included so the brother would have no need to lie.
    Its not like it would cost him anything.
  • Noble_Viking
    Noble_Viking Posts: 216 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »

But he is lying, he's lied to Motability thus RSA (the insurance company) about where he lives and therefore the insurance company think the car is parked at the claimant's home when it is not. He obviously told porkies because he lives over 5 miles from his mother's address, when in fact he could have told the truth because Motability do allow cars to be used over 5 miles in exceptional circumstances.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »

So to the question "where is the car kept overnight?" you think your brother won't have lied??
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So to the question "where is the car kept overnight?" you think your brother won't have lied??
    You don't get asked this question - the insurance comes as part of the motability package.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Noble_Viking
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OP, your brother is just like tens of thousands of other taking advantage of the pathetic mobility scheme.

A tad harsh... (and it is Motability... not mobility!) The scheme is a lifesaver for many people with mobility issues.
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Disabled friend of mine had a hell of a job getting a Mobility car so I can't see they'd be taking any application lightly...

The Motability (not mobility!) scheme is fairly easy to use and apply to if you are in receipt of DLA HRM or PIP the Enhanced Rate for Mobility. Although I have come across people being turned down for the scheme if they have a rubbish / bad history with previous car insurance claims!
  • Noble_Viking
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Something about this does not add up. To sign up to the Motability agreement when you order a car you have to produce your driving licence and a photocopy is taken. I presume the OP's mother does not drive and thus the named driver added to the Motability Agreement was the son who lives more than 5 miles away and certainly not with the OP's mother.

If he doesn't live with her, then his driving licence would have a different address on? Has this not been picked up by the garage / car showroom the car was ordered from or by Motability when it was processed?

Or is the OP's brother also telling the DVLA he lives with his mother?

Also according to the Motability website:

"Proposed drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed. Speak to your dealer or RSAM for more information."

If he's been banned from driving previously, I am guessing he's not declared this? What was it he served 8 years in prison for?

I think there is more to this than meets the eye!
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My brother and his GF have a similar thing going with his MiL. MiL already has her own car, got the mobo one so her daughter could have a cheap brand new focus for the grand daughter. I keep out of it, if they want to play the system, let them.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You feel he "pressurised" your mum to give up her £56 per week in exchange for the car, it does sound like she doesn't get much in return. But if your mother is of sound mind to handle her own financial affairs, there really is not a lot you can do about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport