Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Telegraph_Sam
    Options
    I think Masonic's circs correspond to my own. At 3 am or whenever all I could do is mow the lawn electrically, by floodlight, which is hardly worth switching to Go. Hence my point that the system has "lost" the limited 8.30 pm +  load switch I have done over the past 1- 2 years. Now I can run the washing machine at peak hours it makes no difference. Hardly wbat Octopus is trying to promote.
    Telegraph Sam
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Telegraph_Sam Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do Octo-Aid and Octopus Watch do more or less the same thing? With the difference I suspect that with one you have to be prepared to go on Facebook and with the other it's for a mobile only (too demanding for mine) and not for a desktop?Tks
    Telegraph Sam
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Options
    Could someone explain to me pls  how to interpret "multiplier" in connection with Agile and Tracker

As an aside I notice that the Martin Lewis site is now recommending Octopus Loyal for a fixed tariff. Last time I checked this was still significantly more expensive that what Tracker was offering at the time.
    Telegraph Sam
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2023 at 5:34AM
    Options
    Could someone explain to me pls  how to interpret "multiplier" in connection with Agile and Tracker

As an aside I notice that the Martin Lewis site is now recommending Octopus Loyal for a fixed tariff. Last time I checked this was still significantly more expensive that what Tracker was offering at the time.
    Both tariffs have a published fórmula that determines unit rates from wholesale prices. The multiplier is part of that equation. A high multiplier will lead to higher prices when wholesale prices are high, whereas a lower multiplier will lead to flatter pricing.
    There are currently no fixes that get anywhere close to Agile or Tracker pricing. The main site doesn't really make recommendations, but is suggesting the best fixes for those who have decided they need certainly of pricing through the winter.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 August 2023 at 8:34AM
    Options

Agile: read this blog:

https://octopus.energy/blog/agile-pricing-explained/

All the Tracker detail is here:

https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

• niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sam, you've been on tracker for gas for some years now, so the idea and implementation of the tracker tariff shouldn't be new to you!

With the sudden massive influx of customers on tracker tariffs the forums and multiple octopus facebook groups are swarmed with posts of "the tariff has gone up by 2p, is this a sign that prices are on the rise, when should i switch???" People just need to relax and stick with it. The prices are still much lower than SVT and until a point where it starts getting higher people shouldn't panic.

With regards to the "load shifting" I suspect octopus found they were losing money with the 8.30pm go faster tariff as in the past that was a complete no brainer for everyone to go on, whether they had an EV or not, as the peak rate was very similar to SVT. I suspect if they made the peak rate extremely high and the off peak 8.30 rate (if they were to ever reintroduce it) low they'd have a few customers, but much less than historically.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    With regards to the "load shifting" I suspect octopus found they were losing money with the 8.30pm go faster tariff ...

@niktheguru you referred me to Octopus, two years ago now!
    I've just renewed on Go. My first year was 5p/kWh off-peak, my second was 7.5p and my third is starting at 9.5p. Go is now a variable tariff so it could change in either direction.
    According to Octopus's renewal email, in the past year I've used about 150kWh of peak power and 1300kWh of off-peak, for a total cost (including standing charges) of ~£310. I'm happy with that :)

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Options
    I think that makes the point very graphically. You have obviously been able to benefit from considerable load shifting into the wee small hours presumably.
    What motivated you to go (= pun) for Go and not Agile?
    Telegraph Sam
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What motivated you to go (= pun) for Go and not Agile?
    I've got solar, so for half of the year I don't really need daytime electricity.
    I have a small ZigBee home automation setup that controls my higher-powered appliances.
    I tolerate the fire risk from running my washing machine overnight.
    I've previously had E7 and am more comfortable with known peak and off-peak rates rather than the lottery that is Agile.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • chainwheel
    Options
    Ryanair revisited  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family