🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Walkers letter swap

Options

Comments

• omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    In my opinion all of these are a con - walkers or was it Golden Wonder were done a good few years ago for fiddling a competition.

A friend of mine used to work for one of these companies and they are smart - they send all the winning codes to certain places where they know folks wont bother to check the bags using their marketing and statistics depts - in this case places that have little internet access like the Isle Of Arran or Skye!

C,D and K will be impossible to find so its just like the lottery.
    Good advertising gig for Walkers though!
    I wonder how many extra multi packs have been sold in this last few weeks - I bet they are rubbing their hands in glee whilst you rub your eyes in sorrow!

So you have fu** all chance of winning!
    :)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    omendata wrote: »
    In my opinion all of these are a con - walkers or was it Golden Wonder were done a good few years ago for fiddling a competition.

A friend of mine used to work for one of these companies and they are smart - they send all the winning codes to certain places where they know folks wont bother to check the bags using their marketing and statistics depts - in this case places that have little internet access like the Isle Of Arran or Skye!

C,D and K will be impossible to find so its just like the lottery.
    Good advertising gig for Walkers though!
    I wonder how many extra multi packs have been sold in this last few weeks - I bet they are rubbing their hands in glee whilst you rub your eyes in sorrow!

So you have fu** all chance of winning!
    :)

They have no need to "fiddle it" redemption rates are well established for this type of promotion and promoters can take out insurance to cover them if the rates are higher than expected.

However many people will have been taken in by the 20,000 holidays headline figure not realising the number likely to be given away is far smaller if it depends on all packs being redeemed - unlike their previous competition for footballs/T-shirts which appeared to be a standard "winning moments" one with all the (much smaller) prizes given away.
  • purple4mum
    purple4mum Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    mjm3346
    I love reading your posts-you seem to be a great source of information about any competition and are always realistic about the chances of winning.I wonder if you are a MSE mole to calm the rest of us down.Thanks for all your posts anyway.I find them very useful and helpful. :T
  • patels27
    Options
    Guys, it looks like Walkers are holding letter k C & D after doing bit research most of us have most of the letters except k,C & D and in all the 26 destinations, we need theses letters and so far nobody have bag these letters.
    So consumers will be so close yet so far from getting that one letter, that they keep on trying and trying and trying (i.e. spending more and more money). That is the whole point of a sales promotion, to encourage people to buy a product.
  • mjm3346
    edited 27 May 2016 at 5:38PM
    Options
    patels27 wrote: »
    Guys, it looks like Walkers are holding letter k C & D after doing bit research most of us have most of the letters except k,C & D and in all the 26 destinations, we need theses letters and so far nobody have bag these letters.
    So consumers will be so close yet so far from getting that one letter, that they keep on trying and trying and trying (i.e. spending more and more money). That is the whole point of a sales promotion, to encourage people to buy a product.

There have been winners and they don't need to hold them back.

If 10,000,000 packs a day are produced during the promotion then over 9,999,800 will have the common letters and less than 200 the winning ones - if 1 pack in every 10 is then redeemed there might be 20 winners a day. If they produce more than 10,000,000 a day the odds get even longer (they get better if they produce less).

(If there are 20,000 keen collectors they can only be entering 100,000 a day between them and maybe producing 2 winners)
  • Clairypeary
    Options
    I have also won a holiday but am yet to hear from lastminute.com. Would you know if your friend could use her vouchers to go anywhere she wanted and could also choose any board basis? Also, was it a simple claim process for the vouchers? Any info would be hugely appreciated!!!! Many thanks!! ;)
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just like the McDonald's one where the 2 £10,000 prize Mayfair stickers were probably put straight in the bin. I really hate competitions where there's a possibility the prizes won't be won.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • mjm3346
    Options
    Autumnella wrote: »
    Just like the McDonald's one where the 2 £10,000 prize Mayfair stickers were probably put straight in the bin. I really hate competitions where there's a possibility the prizes won't be won.

With Walkers it's not so much a possibility but almost a certainty nowhere near all of them will be won from the main promotion - but they make no mention of this or the method of winner selection.

Toffifee are running one for lots of vouchers where they will not all be won but they are upfront about it stating on the main page
    Not all prizes will be won

and giving details in the T&C's about winner selection
    Winner Selection: Winners will be selected by an algorithm, which has been randomly and independently designed, based on the number of promotional products in the market place. This will ensure there is an equal chance of winning for everyone. Although all prizes will be available to be won, there is no guarantee that they all will actually be won.

that way of selecting winners resulted in less than 100 of 1,000 main prizes being won in a comp on Branston Beans last year and they were not even unique codes.
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Arksun wrote: »
    Absolutely, it could well be that C,D or even K has been inadvertantly thrown out, possibly by me.
    And possibly picked up by this guy. I can't help wondering if he's got a C, D or K code in among his collection.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • tamalyn
    tamalyn Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    everyone needs a k or a c lol i dont think anyone will be stupid enough to give one up!
    Top wins - £10,000 lottery/daily mirror, £5000 asda vouchers, £1000 washing machine, 2 week canaries cruise, VIP trip to the olympics, 46" 3D TV, personal chef, kitchen aid mixer, £1000 tesco vouchers - latest prize £10,000 road trip with kit Kat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport