We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Walkers letter swap

Options

Comments

• Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 May 2016 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Kam456 wrote: »
    I need a K! Would anyone like to swap? I have quiet a few letters to swap....
    You and me both. ;)

I'm just a 'K' away from winning a holiday (or voucher!) to Krabi! Wonder where that is? I think I'd better have a quick Google.
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    As only 5 swaps are allowed unless I already had a rare one and they were to complete a specific destination I wouldn't bother with a swap (all of the holidays can be exchanged for vouchers £4,000 for group A which need a K or £1500 for group B which need the C or D).
    I guess I should have read the 'How to' before wasting a couple on random swaps.
    Arksun wrote: »
    Absolutely, it could well be that C,D or even K has been inadvertantly thrown out, possibly by me.
    ... Or my father! He goes through 7 or 8 packets a day, and up until asking had just been binning them.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Arksun wrote: »
    Absolutely, it could well be that C,D or even K has been inadvertantly thrown out, possibly by me.

It's not just un-entered codes, the bulk of entrants will probably not be compers and it's quite likely a number of them will have rare letters and not even know it.
  • maggie777
    maggie777 Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are we sure that each code represents a particular letter or could the letters be randomly generated. That being the case could the C, D and K possibly be winning moments?
  • mjm3346
    edited 11 May 2016 at 8:23PM
    Options
    maggie777 wrote: »
    Are we sure that each code represents a particular letter or could the letters be randomly generated. That being the case could the C, D and K possibly be winning moments?

The T&C's maybe imply the codes produce a set letter
    Each letter may be printed in different volumes.

but they are not clear on the process.

If every bag has a unique letter or there are "winning moments" based on every packet code being entered then far less than 20,000 holidays will be won.

If there are "winning moments" based on the duration of the competition then most of the holidays will be won.

I think the options where far less will be won are most likely as the "wrap up" late draw is for £1,000 and not any unclaimed holidays from the main competition.

Covent Garden soup ran one a few years ago where 260,000 entered but no one won the main prize

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104548/New-Covent-Garden-Soup-Company-Win-farm-Competition-No-gets-500k-prize.html
  • Arksun
    Arksun Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    maggie777 wrote: »

I did consider that, the way they animate the letter after entering the code gives that kinda feeling, but then I remembered the thing about recommending people retain their crisps packet with the code on it, most likely to prove that they found the C,D or K. So I think each code is indeed tied to a specific letter.
  • mrsrufyed
    Options
    I have a S and a T you can have..... how do we go about it? :)
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrsrufyed wrote: »
    That will be your stumbling block given MSE rules:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?
    • Why can't I give something to/buy something from someone on the forum?
      The safety of our forum users is paramount. For this reason, we can't allow anyone to exchange their personal details either on the open forum or via private message, however honourable the intention.
      This means we don't allow selling, trading, exchanging, or swapping, or giving gifts. Nor do we permit links to your eBay auctions, or other forms of advertising.
  • mjm3346
    Options
    mrsrufyed wrote: »

You can swap a maximum of 5 letters during the whole promotion but as the only letters that matter are the K, C or D there is no real point in bothering with any of the others.
  • islandjay
    Options
    I did consider that, the way they animate the letter after entering the code gives that kinda feeling, but then I remembered the thing about recommending people retain their crisps packet with the code on it, most likely to prove that they found the C,D or K. So I think each code is indeed tied to a specific letter.

I too need a C, D or K. I've noticed recently that the animation often 'sticks' on the letter C for a second - making my heart rate go up for a beat and then settles on a letter I already have. Naughty Walkers! I've come to realise that the chances of winning are slight, but I'm still carrying on....someone's got to win. I've been chucking the packets, but obviously I would keep a packet that got me one of the 'golden' letters. I do think they are tied to the codes. Which is gutting if you think about it. Here's a little tip - if you have a school near you, check out the paths that the kids walk too and from school. I've found quite a few discarded packets this way!
  • mjm3346
    Options
    islandjay wrote: »
    I too need a C, D or K. I've noticed recently that the animation often 'sticks' on the letter C for a second - making my heart rate go up for a beat and then settles on a letter I already have. Naughty Walkers! I've come to realise that the chances of winning are slight, but I'm still carrying on....someone's got to win. !

The animation is for "entertainment" the letters are almost certainly linked to the codes.
    If the equivalent of only 10,000,000 promotional packs are produced per day during the promotion period the odds of getting a rare letter are around 50,000 to 1, the number of codes you can enter is around 160.
    With the limit on individual entries and average redemption rates for this type of on pack promotion the chances are the number of holidays won through this part of the promotion will be closer to 2,000 than 20,000.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport