PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not only have I quit sugar, but I have absolutely no interest in food. I might expect this to change later in the month when my brain goes crazy for carbs.

Yesterday I finally got hold of a copy of Pure, Whte and Deadly by John Yudkin and am lapping it up.

My real test will come on Day 102.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're doing amazing VfM

I keep getting stuck around day 10 - 14.

I just don't have your discipline.

Keep trying though, and it's a lot more sugar free days than I would have had without the challenge.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Keep trying though, and it's a lot more sugar free days than I would have had without the challenge.
    Yes you must! You're right about s/f days, better to have them than not. I couldn't do it that way, it's either all or nothing for me. I am so very glad I quit though, at this stage I don't think I'd go back simply because it was so hard to do.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Still going strong!

Monday was an interesting day in many ways. I dropped into a gathering by chance and walked straight into a kitchen full of gooey cakes being served, covered in white and milk chocolate. Didn't trigger a response.

Also found a book I'd been looking out for, to be used should I require motivation:

the-8-week-blood-sugar-diet.jpg

Yesterday: was at a day-long meeting, catering was really good...if you like sugar! But I avoided the tables laden with chocolate pastries (morning), crepes suzette (lunchtime), carrot cake and giant HM cookies (afternoon).

And today: unaffected, perfectly able to function without sugar.

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    VfM4meplse- you are doing really well, well done!

This thread really gave me to kick up the bottom that i needed to get back to being sugar free.

Have lost 6lbs this month!

Feeling much better now, after the first month being a killer again! My bloating around my stomach has almost disappeared too :)

The only major struggle i had is when it was my TOTM, and i was in Ireland for the weekend. I struggled to keep away from this amazing white chocolate that i found, which had berries in it!

i didnt cave in though!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Wel yesterday was uneventful, but I did create my own trail mix using a pack of sunflower seeds, one of pumpkin seed (both from Poundland) and a small quantity of Greek currants. And very delicious it was too: are you supposed to eat it from a bowl with a spoon or to you reserve it for sprinkling? :o

Also some of Lidl's low fat Greek-like yoghurt (picked it up instead of the standard low fat by mistake) mixed with a small mashed slightly-ripened banana. It was meant to be for our little princess but she refused to eat it, don't know why because it was lovely.

Today I realised I have got a lot of fruit that I'm unlikely to eat, I don't fancy anything sweet now. My mum "accidentally" left some sweets here but they have gone straight into a jar full of other sweets I don't touch, weird huh?

• VfM4meplse
    Options
    Still on the wagon. Am in a lounge surrounded by complimentary goodies and not even vaguely interested in anything but my afternoon coffee! Just skimmed the baking thread and the thought of a coffee and walnut cake would have had me drooling like a rabied puppy just a month ago, now I seem immune.

Unless there is something wrong with my salivary glands? :D

• VfM4meplse
    edited 14 June 2016 at 8:40AM
    Options
    I read Michael Mosely's book in one go on Sunday evening, which gave me affirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I've got no intention of going on a VLCD as I eat little enough as it is. I feel well equipped to start to cut back on carbs.

It got to 5pm on Sunday and although I was out and about, I hadn't eaten. Remedy: I bought a coffee and a pack of croissants from Waitrose, just in case I felt desperate on the way home. Desperation didn't strike; nor did the croissants hit the spot when I eventually ate one yesterday. Indicates to me I'm ready for the next step.

Eta: the time is right to replace my flour stash with low carb versions, just trying to work out where to find this without breaking the bank. DUK has a guide but I'm not sure why they are dribbling icing all over their baked goods? I have several untouched bags of sugar which I'm now confident I can get rid of too.

• VfM4meplse
    edited 16 June 2016 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Today has been a struggle - not to avoid sugar, but carbs.

I started with a rarely-felt pain in my stomach that I recognised as hunger, so ate 2 Weetabix with whole milk at about 8am (don't usually eat breakfast). Mistake because that set the tone for the day, have been moody and craving carbs. Finally gave in this evening and had 2 thick slices of cheese on toast (granary bread). I realised that I probably need to make sure I buy another pot of thick Greek yoghurt with my weekly shop just in case, works well with banana / fruit.

I console myself that just two months ago I would not have held back on the sugar on a day like this :o

Eta: this has just pinged through via email, gonna make good use of it.

• lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya

You've done really well with the sugar :T I'm still 'added sugar' free as well.

I'm just wondering why you're cutting your carbs ??
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing