PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "I Quit Sugar" (by any method) support thread

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well it's been over 5 whole weeks now!

I feel a bit leaner now, the long standing slight muffin is disappearing but it will be a while before the unseen visceral fat shifts. I wore a summer dress yesterday that I'd bought about 15 years ago, which was a perfect fit at the time but I'd consigned to the back of the wardrobe for some time. There's now room to spare in it!

My weight seems to have crept up by 3-4 pounds, I put this down to eating more protein and exercising more. Overall I feel motivated to continue.

Friday is now my designated baking day on account of the fact that I can get rid of my creations in several different direction. If it's not too hot to turn the oven on this evening I shall make a vegan "passion" cake with carrots, dates pineapple and raisins (no icing).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I am sitting here in front of a lone Jaffa Cake plus another full pack, a large packet of McVities digestives, chocolate tea cakes and raspberry jam in full sight...and I am not even vaguely tempted. I think the pain endured to date has been worth it!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh well done on not feeling tempted. I'm not a huge biscuit person, more a chocolate/crisps/baked goods/sweets/chocolates/cake sort of person :rotfl:.

I put 16 dates in a bowl yesterday, scooped a tin of coconut milk over them and left them overnight.

This morning I blitzed the whole lot in the food processor and added two tablespoons of cocoa powder and blitzed again.

It is soooo nice! It's like a chocolate mousse but I've put it in the fridge to make it into a sort of fudge. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs a chocolate lift without the sugar.

I also cooked down raspberries in orange juice with a teaspoon of vanilla to make a coulis/sauce. It's a bit like a thin pouring jam - very nice.

I will make these in a bit: sugar free oatmeal cookies. I imagine they will be soft and chewy.

I might make these as well: crunchy ginger snaps.. I plan to use maple syrup instead of the xylitol and a light olive oil instead of butter.

So now I feel I have a good selection of desserts: banana 'ice cream', chocolate mousse/fudge, raspberry sauce, oatmeal cookies (chewy) and ginger snaps (crunchy).
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Oops! Oh dear.....

Those ideas do sound rather nice...ahem...and I have a distinct suspicion I will be trying them out...:o:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I put 16 dates in a bowl yesterday, scooped a tin of coconut milk over them and left them overnight.

This morning I blitzed the whole lot in the food processor and added two tablespoons of cocoa powder and blitzed again.

It is soooo nice! It's like a chocolate mousse but I've put it in the fridge to make it into a sort of fudge. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs a chocolate lift without the sugar.
    I like the fudge idea, but will save it for a treat. Currently not missing sugar but I have no doubt that I shall soon enough. Atm iced coffee is still working, and stewed apples (dash of water, no sugar) with or without single cream is my pudding of choice.

• armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    [Jesse]

Today I have mostly been drinking warm sugary tea.

[/Jesse]
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I finally got around to having some of the desserts last night. The banana 'ice cream' had the texture and feel of proper ice cream but tasted of slightly bitter/coarse banana - almost like banana skin?. I think it needs to be cut with almond milk and a little vanilla or else the bananas need to be almost turning brown to get the sweetness.

The chocolate mousse did not take on a fudge texture when chilled but was absolutely delicious. I had a scoop of that, a scoop of the banana ice cream and a good dollop of the raspberries on top. All three together made a scrummy dessert.

I didn't get round to making the cookies yet; it's too hot to cook. I have everything ready to go though, so if it cools down a bit later this week I'll give them a go.

Salads for lunch this week - waldorf, caesar, cucumber, stuffed leaves.
    I've got some cashews soaking to try to make a creamy dressing base. It seems to be the way to go for anything creamy like mayo, pesto, caesar, ranch etc.

I also see a recipe for roasted chickpea croutons but that requires an oven so I might just use ordinary croutons which I have in the freezer.

Dinners will be chicken curry; chilli burgers with spuds and coleslaw; pork chops in hm bbq sauce (made with hm ketchup and no added sugar) with mash and veg; spanish omelette with salad and a warm kale salad. All main dishes are in the freezer so minimum time in the kitchen while the sun is out.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 31 May 2016 at 2:15PM
    Options
    I think the answer to the banana ice-cream question is make it as and when rather than to store in the freezer: frozen banana blitzed with natural yoghurt does the job for me!

Day 40 and still going strong. I've had a load of "temptation" here in Eire, strangely enough none of it has been even vaguely tempting!

• VfM4meplse
    edited 1 June 2016 at 8:19AM
    Options
    Woke up not thinking about sugar (as in, "I must avoid it"). It just wasn't important enough to be a consideration, which I take as a good thing.

It's becoming a lesser deal to me now. Giving up will have its benefits eventually, I keep reminding myself I won't necessarily feel better now. However exercise does help. Am still planning to erode my visceral fat over time.

• VfM4meplse
    Options
    Well it's been over six weeks now (and somehow I have miscalculated my days!). It's been well worth the pain.

I'm so surprised, yesterday sugar didn't even cross my mind. Don't even fancy the grapes or pineapple on my fridge, will have to feed it to the baby instead. I even walked past my jar of raisins several times without registering them, dived into the cashew nuts instead :D

I feel no need to bake, either!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure