Bank makes me overdrawn?!

Options

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the error was to blame on the insurance Company not amending a dd date then the issue and costs falls to them but only if you have the proof it was amended otherwise it is hearsay.
  • micky2phones
    micky2phones Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sammie007 wrote: »
    Wow. Well,I thought I may have got some nice answers. Not sure about the jackanory remark. My insurance was supposed to take the direct debit out on the 15th of the month,as we changed it because I'd got made redundant the month before, but took it out on the first of the month. They did me no favours whatsoever. I'd have rather paid a £15 charge. My insurance offered me a free month as a gesture of goodwill. And being jobless and benefit less,it's very hard to pay it off. I'm sure we did one month but still got charged. But I'm unsure on why they can take me over my limit in the first instance.

Hi, its a bit too late now to do this, but if you phone your bank up at the time and ask as " a gesture of goodwill " refund that charge, most call centre workers can do this.

They just look at the last 12 months of your account if thats ok, they do that, i done it twice in the last 3 years, total of 16 pounds.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,291 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2016 at 6:19PM
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Nice little Diatribe,..
    <Nice little Diatribe snipped>

I will accede you know a lot about how banks operate , T'c's etc, and give good advice to posters on this forum , BUT, we will always Differ on this topic, and we have had a few debates in the past.
    Well, your post did question where we differed, so I thought it rude not to help you to understand.

I'll take the change of subject from overdrafts and order of transactions to PPI and LIBOR fixing as a concession that those previous points did not really have any merit. On the subjects of PPI and LIBOR fixing, I'm only too happy to agree with you that banks have behaved badly in those areas. However, I do not let the areas where banks have acted badly blind me to the areas where they act well. The "same-day retry system" for outgoing payments, which was introduced last year for example, should be applauded.

If you insist on only posting bad things about banks, it would be best to stick to things that are factually correct.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2016 at 10:23AM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Well, your post did question where we differed, so I thought it rude not to help you to understand.

I'll take the change of subject from overdrafts and order of transactions to PPI and LIBOR fixing as a concession that those previous points did not really have any merit. On the subjects of PPI and LIBOR fixing, I'm only too happy to agree with you that banks have behaved badly in those areas. However, I do not let the areas where banks have acted badly blind me to the areas where they act well. The "same-day retry system" for outgoing payments, which was introduced last year for example, should be applauded.

If you insist on only posting bad things about banks, it would be best to stick to things that are factually correct.
    I don't accept my comments didn't have merit.
    regarding your claim,that I was at fault for withdrawing before funds were cleared were wrong, and I said in my post, the bank admitted fault and refunded me
    I do accept the banks regard to DD's is a good move, but, they did it reluctantly,as always, it's not in their interest to do otherwise, after umpteen people had incurred a lot of charges.
    They never do anything without being forced to.
    You failed to mention that:
    One little good example does not make up for the several bad examples I gave you, of which only two you agreed with.
    Selective' , seems to be your MO, so is the banks MO.
    I tend to look at them on the whole.
    My OP was just one example that happened to me, of how Banks are not your freinds, unlike my day, when you knew your Bank Manager personally, but times change, and we must.
    They are an institution, to make money, not for Altruistic purposes.
    Technology has advanced so fast, the banks cannot keep pace even, and that leaves the customer at a disadvantage, they are at the Banks mercy.
    We cannot do without them,and they cannot, and will not be allowed to fail.
    I accept I did not know about the balance at day end regarding overdrafts, and thank you for your explanation of such, I actually said so if you care to look back.
    The Banks have a lot to answer for, and there are a lot of BIG crisis coming up in the near future regarding their Malpractice in many aspects.
    All I say is, GEN up, treat them as they treat you, in my case with contempt, and you should be fine.
    T&C's, are their silver bullet, so be aware of them.
    There's not a day goes by where I receive a letter from a Bank about changes to their T/c's.
    Unfortunately, that's where the OP has been caught out, not actually intentional, just by making a mistake as we all do.
    I will stick to commenting on them, but, I won't just be selective of their good points only, to score points , and ignore their numerous bad faults.
    There's more posts on here regarding their faults, than singing their praises.
    That's my little Diatribe over.
    Keep up the good work.
    Who knows , one day, we may agree.:)
    As they say on the DEN.
    I'm out:beer:
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,291 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad I was able to help you get that out of your system.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Technology has advanced so fast, the banks cannot keep pace even, and that leaves the customer at a disadvantage, they are at the Banks mercy.

Direct debits have been around for decades. What has been lost is peoples own ability to manage their financial affairs properly. Even though they now can see their balance instantly online 24/7. That's the fault of the nanny state and not accepting personal responsibility for their own actions.
  • Super_Whiskey
    Super_Whiskey Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All I say is, GEN up, treat them as they treat you, in my case with contempt, and you should be fine.
    T&C's, are their silver bullet, so be aware of them.
    There's not a day goes by where I receive a letter from a Bank about changes to their T/c's.

Damn those banks telling their customers upfront what they will do and why and then going ahead and doing it. DAMN THEM!
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    Sammie007 wrote: »
    Hello. I need some advice please. My bank let a direct debit go through last year,( Nov/Dec),, which made me go into unauthorised overdraft. (£5 a day). Now we've been getting £80+ charges a month because we can't get out of it,and they charge us every month for going over,because of their original charge. They say it's in the terms and conditions, and basically unlucky. We can close our account, but then have to pay them £350 back. They've put us in this position, and we can't get out of it. Any advice? Pleeeease
    My bank, (Halifax) would for some reason let direct debits still go through taking me overdrawn and other times appear to do so, it comes out my account but then returned 24 hours later. Now, they ALWAYS return any direct debits regardless of whom these are to if I would have otherwise have gone overdrawn yet I don't get charged for any of the returned direct debits.
    :o
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I would actually be pleased if the bank paid a direct debit which would cause me to be overdrawn. Better that than having whatever the direct debit was for being left unpaid.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My bank, (Halifax) would for some reason let direct debits still go through taking me overdrawn and other times appear to do so, it comes out my account but then returned 24 hours later. Now, they ALWAYS return any direct debits regardless of whom these are to if I would have otherwise have gone overdrawn yet I don't get charged for any of the returned direct debits.

You've replied to a 2 year old post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport