Bank makes me overdrawn?!

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,291 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    banks will make you overdrawn on purpose.
    I had this 30 years ago, and it still persists.
    If you pay in say, £1k on any day by SO and then have an SO for paying out £1k the same day, they will always take the SO out first, before putting your £1k in at midnight, therefore making you overdrawn .They never pay in, then take out at midnight, always the other way round.
    If there are 2 banks, let's call them Bank A and Bank B, and you want to cross fund them by standing order, so you set up a standing order on each account to pay out to the other on the same day...

Bank A sends a payment to Bank B.
    Bank B sends a payment to Bank A.

Do you seriously expect both payments to be received before they were sent? Clearly it is not possible for Bank A to credit Bank B's payment before Bank B sent it.

Payments must be sent and then some time later they will be received. That results in debits appearing before credits.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2016 at 11:19AM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    If there are 2 banks, let's call them Bank A and Bank B, and you want to cross fund them by standing order, so you set up a standing order on each account to pay out to the other on the same day...

Bank A sends a payment to Bank B.
    Bank B sends a payment to Bank A.

Do you seriously expect both payments to be received before they were sent? Clearly it is not possible for Bank A to credit Bank B's payment before Bank B sent it.

Payments must be sent and then some time later they will be received. That results in debits appearing before credits.
    Yes I do expect it.
    If I have £5k in Bank A and £5k in bank B, then send £1k from A>B, and B>A at the same time , there's enough funds to cover both transactions,without receiving either, but both transactions will be debited first ,before receiving, one does not depend on the other, so, there's no reason not to credit, B>A first,or vice versa.
    How do you account for me paying into my account first,CASH, then withdrawing it after,Cash, YET, the money paid in was not added before I withdrew it at the hole in the wall, and being thrown in the red.?
    As I had no overdraft facilities, I should have NOT been able to withdraw any at the wall, if it wasn't already in?
    Hence the Refund.
    Does paying in take longer than taking out?
    I don't think so.
    The System is loaded in their favour, and always will be.
    Trust them at your peril.
  • masonic
    edited 2 May 2016 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Yes I do expect it.
    If I have £5k in Bank A and £5k in bank B, then send £1k from A>B, and B>A at the same time , there's enough funds to cover both transactions,without receiving either, but both transactions will be debited first ,before receiving, one does not depend on the other, so, there's no reason not to credit, B>A first,or vice versa.
    You are expecting the impossible. The transactions are not instantaneous. If both are sent at the exactly the same time, then in order for them to be credited before they are debited, then they must have travelled back in time.

Is it possible for you to receive an email or text message before it is sent? No? Then why would you expect to receive a bank transfer before it is sent?
    How do you account for me paying into my account first,CASH, then withdrawing it after,Cash, YET, the money paid in was not added before I withdrew it at the hole in the wall, and being thrown in the red.?
    I don't think so.
    Cash payments are processed offline. Try it with a faster payment and see what happens.

In any case, at most banks if you pay in cash before the bank's cut off time then the order of transactions is irrelevant.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I do expect it.
    As I had no overdraft facilities, I should have NOT been able to withdraw any at the wall, if it wasn't already in?
    Hence the Refund.
    I don't think so.
    The System is loaded in their favour, and always will be.
    Trust them at your peril.

How the hell can something arrive before departing? You are being ridiculous.
  • joe134
    edited 2 May 2016 at 11:26AM
    Options
    You are expecting the impossible. The transactions are not instantaneous. If both are sent at the exactly the same time, then in order for them to be credited before they are debited, then they must have travelled back in time.

Is it possible for you to receive an email or text message before it is sent? No? Then why would you expect to receive a bank transfer before it is sent?
    improbable yes, impossible no,because one is not dependent on the other, there's funds to cover both sending transactions, without receiving any.
    I wish I could travel back in time.knowing what I know now:)
    banks are black holes anyway, money is always disappearing.:eek:
  • masonic
    Options
    improbable yes, impossible no,because one is not dependent on the other, there's funds to cover both sending transactions, without receiving any.
    I wish I could travel back in time.knowing what I know now:)
    banks are black holes anyway, money is always disappearing.:eek:

Bank A Standing order 1 - sent 12:00:01 - destination Bank B

Bank B Standing order 2 - sent 12:00:01 - destination Bank A

joe134 requirement: At each (or either) bank, standing orders are credited before standing orders are debited
    Standing order from Bank B must be received at Bank A before 12:00:01
    Standing order from Bank B must be received at Bank B before 12:00:01

Therefore both standing orders must have arrived prior to 12:00:01, which is earlier than the time that they were sent. Impossible.
  • joe134
    Options
    Bank A Standing order 1 - sent 12:00:01 - destination Bank B

Bank B Standing order 2 - sent 12:00:01 - destination Bank A

joe134 requirement: At each (or either) bank, standing orders are credited before standing orders are debited
    Standing order from Bank B must be received at Bank A before 12:00:01
    Standing order from Bank B must be received at Bank B before 12:00:01

Therefore both standing orders must have arrived prior to 12:00:01, which is earlier than the time that they were sent. Impossible.
    They are not dependent on each other, there's funds in both A/cs.
    The receipt of both SO's are independent, of each other.
    Bank A is NOT relying on receipt of bank B's money', before it returns it, it's already there.
    It's elementary .
  • joe134
    Options
    anoncol wrote: »
    How the hell can something arrive before departing? You are being ridiculous.
    read the post properly, the funds are already there.
    stand on a station sometime, they are seperate trains,
    nowt so blind as those who won't see.
  • masonic
    Options
    They are not dependent on each other, there's funds in both A/cs.
    The receipt of both SO's are independent, of each other.
    Bank A is NOT relying on receipt of bank B's money', before it returns it, it's already there.
    It's elementary .
    Banks have never and will never credit funds to a customers account before they are received. As anoncol says, you are being ridiculous.

Bank A certainly is relying on receipt of Bank B's money before it credits Bank B's standing order. It is not already there. I suggest you re-read the example above because it is clear that Bank A sends its standing order to Bank B without having received Bank B's standing order.
  • masonic
    Options
    read the post properly, the funds are already there.
    stand on a station sometime, they are seperate trains,
    nowt so blind as those who won't see.
    If you want a train analogy, a train leaves from station A at 12:00:01 heading for station B. At the same time a train leaves from station B heading for station A.

Should the train from station A that is heading for station B arrive at station B before or after 12:00:01?

Should the train from station B that is heading for station A arrive at station A before or after 12:00:01?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure