PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Knocking through a wall to open up lounge and dining room

Options

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Ok, so my next renovation question is about opening up the lounge and dining room, something I believe to be cheaper than the driveway!
    Knock through the internal wall, move existing lounge door.
    Considerations:
    - Is it a supporting wall?
    - Does it already have a steel lintel?
    Anything else? Estimated cost?

Anything else?
    - Making good flooring...?

We once had a Victorian House where a wall had already been taken out. Although it was non structural and the original floorboards appeared to have run from one room though to the adjacent one, slight settlement of the wall over the years meant that there was a distinct dip or wave where the absent wall had been. No big deal, as we had to lift and relay the boards of the suspended flooring anyway, as many were gappy and broken.

- Also; arming yourself with evidence of a job properly done? When we bought our current 1980's house, we got a copy of a structural engineer's report from a previous sale, confirming that the removal of a wall between the lounge and diner had been done properly. We then spoke to that surveyor, who was still practising. You'll be asked for some kind of certification if you ever come to sell; unless you lie about doing any building work on the pre-sale questions

- Don't cut corners; on one memorable occasion my wiofe reported that she heard a distant rumble, then found that a house several doors away had collapsed in on itself as the internal wall was removed by Wild Bill Hickock and Billy the Kid plc

-Happy demolitions
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Anything else?

We once had a Victorian House where a wall had already been taken out. Although it was non structural and the original floorboards appeared to have run from one room though to the adjacent one, slight settlement of the wall over the years meant that there was a distinct dip or wave where the absent wall had been. No big deal, as we had to lift and relay the boards of the suspended flooring anyway, as many were gappy and broken.

- Also; arming yourself with evidence of a job properly done? When we bought our current 1980's house, we got a copy of a structural engineer's report from a previous sale, confirming that the removal of a wall between the lounge and diner had been done properly. We then spoke to that surveyor, who was still practising. You'll be asked for some kind of certification if you ever come to sell; unless you lie about doing any building work on the pre-sale questions

- Don't cut corners; on one memorable occasion my wiofe reported that she heard a distant rumble, then found that a house several doors away had collapsed in on itself as the internal wall was removed by Wild Bill Hickock and Billy the Kid plc

-Happy demolitions

Good post, thanks.

I am money conscious but I'm not cutting corners with something like this. My biggest fear is trusting a builder - I'm sure there are lots of great ones out there, but one hears so many horror stories it petrifies me.

So, you think get it done and then get a structural engineer to come in and certify it?
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I prefer kitchen/diner/family and separate living room and have a feeling that's more 'on trend' as well than small closed off kitchen and through lounge/diner.

I don't like gardens converted to parking either especially when you get a whole street of them.

Not trying to be negative but OP has quite strong views about what looks good and it helps early on to realise that your tastes are not always as widely appealing as you think. I'd recommend living with the house as it is for a while before structural changes just to be sure.

PS We knocked through in our last house but between kitchen/dining :)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good post, thanks.

I am money conscious but I'm not cutting corners with something like this. My biggest fear is trusting a builder - I'm sure there are lots of great ones out there, but one hears so many horror stories it petrifies me.

So, you think get it done and then get a structural engineer to come in and certify it?

No. You get a structural engineer to calculate the load and the lintel or RSJ to support the wall.

You give the calculations to a builder and they remove part of the wall and support it according to the spec given.

You also notify Building Control, give them a copy of the calcs and then they certify it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • adonis10
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    I prefer kitchen/diner/family and separate living room and have a feeling that's more 'on trend' as well than small closed off kitchen and through lounge/diner.

I don't like gardens converted to parking either especially when you get a whole street of them.

Not trying to be negative but OP has quite strong views about what looks good and it helps early on to realise that your tastes are not always as widely appealing as you think. I'd recommend living with the house as it is for a while before structural changes just to be sure.

PS We knocked through in our last house but between kitchen/dining :)

Fair point, but we have to decide what we want first and foremost, we're not buying it to do up and sell within 9 months for a quick buck.

If everyone read these boards I don't think any renovation work would ever be done.

All well and good doing that but if we add nice wood flooring and decorate, and then decide to knock the wall through anyway it is going to make a mess and cause much hassle.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2016 at 4:43PM
    Options
    This house has a very similar layout to the one OP is buying:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58005080.html

The listing has a floorplan.

Personally, I also prefer a kitchen-diner to a lounge-diner. Looking at the floor plan, would a kitchen-diner across the back of the house be feasible? (would be slightly L-shaped as kitchen is longer than dining room). Looks like it'd be a nice size. Your lounge-diner would be very long and thin.

Also - is there currently just an arch between the lounge and the dining room? The photos make it look like one room anyway - same decor continues through both and the dining room is just being used as a study/lounge extension, as the current owners have their dining table in the conservatory.

And I would advise - as you say this isn't a short term do up and sell - live with the house for a few months. Live with the decor while you see how you *use* the rooms and what you want to have where. You're right that you shouldn't change decor and flooring and then decide on structural changes, but equally you honestly won't know exactly how you want to use the space until you've lived there for a bit.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fair point, but we have to decide what we want first and foremost, we're not buying it to do up and sell within 9 months for a quick buck.

If everyone read these boards I don't think any renovation work would ever be done.

All well and good doing that but if we add nice wood flooring and decorate, and then decide to knock the wall through anyway it is going to make a mess and cause much hassle.

Well don't do the floors and decorate either until you're sure which way to go !

From experience, I do know you change your mind about things quite a bit once you're in there.

Its not about scaring you off just taking your time before diving in - as you can see these would be expensive mistakes :)
  • adonis10
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Here's the OP's house:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58005080.html

(OP - you gave the full address in the photos you posted on the driveway thread)

The listing has a floorplan.

Personally, I also prefer a kitchen-diner to a lounge-diner. Looking at the floor plan, would a kitchen-diner across the back of the house be feasible? (would be slightly L-shaped as kitchen is longer than dining room). Looks like it'd be a nice size. Your lounge-diner would be very long and thin.

Also - is there currently just an arch between the lounge and the dining room? The photos make it look like one room anyway - same decor continues through both and the dining room is just being used as a study/lounge extension, as the current owners have their dining table in the conservatory.

And I would advise - as you say this isn't a short term do up and sell - live with the house for a few months. Live with the decor while you see how you *use* the rooms and what you want to have where. You're right that you shouldn't change decor and flooring and then decide on structural changes, but equally you honestly won't know exactly how you want to use the space until you've lived there for a bit.

That isn't the one we are buying, but very similar layout.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, so my next renovation question is about opening up the lounge and dining room, something I believe to be cheaper than the driveway!
    Knock through the internal wall, move existing lounge door.
    Considerations:
    - Is it a supporting wall?
    - Does it already have a steel lintel?
    Anything else? Estimated cost?

Anything else?

- Don't cut corners; on one memorable occasion my wife reported that she heard a distant rumble, then found that a house several doors away had collapsed in on itself as the internal wall was removed by Wild Bill Hickock and Billy the Kid plc

-Happy demolitions
  • shopaholicz
    shopaholicz Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi adonis10, we have builders coming in next Monday to take out the supporting wall between our kitchen and dining room. Our house is very similar to the one on rightmove. We already have double doors from living room through to dining room and a conservatory on the back. We don't use our dining room much at all as it's the furthest away from the kitchen, bad planning.

Anyway, when we contacted a builder he said he needed a structural engineer to come and calculate the weight the steel beams needed to support before he ordered them. The more weight they have to support the thicker they need to be and the more they then cost. Once he's got that report he can order the beams, then pass info onto building control at the council. After he's done the job the council come in and inspect. You have to pay the structural engineer and the building control inspector over and above the builders costs.

We've been told the work to take out the wall and make good the floor will take 2 weeks.

We also need to remove 2 radiators before the work can be done and get a water pipe moved. Do you have any radiators or pipes around the wall you want to remove?

In total we're expecting it to cost us £350 structural engineer, £75 building control, £2,500 builder, £300 skips. Flooring and decorating will be extra to this.
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport