PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Knocking through a wall to open up lounge and dining room

Options
Ok, so my next renovation question is about opening up the lounge and dining room, something I believe to be cheaper than the driveway!

Knock through the internal wall, move existing lounge door.

Considerations:

- Is it a supporting wall?
- Does it already have a steel lintel?
Anything else?

Estimated cost?

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    - Do you prefer the new layout and/or will it add any value to the property?
  • camptownraces
    Options
    Before you consider this, seriously, get a structural engineer in. It's not likely to have a steel lintel if it's the 30s property you linked to earlier.

Start thinking about party wall agreements too.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2016 at 1:33PM
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    - Do you prefer the new layout and/or will it add any value to the property?

Much prefer the new layout. This one isn't really about adding value. However, we feel it will look much better and so when we sell we feel that this will help.
  • adonis10
    Options
    Before you consider this, seriously, get a structural engineer in. It's not likely to have a steel lintel if it's the 30s property you linked to earlier.

Party wall agreements?

I agree, I doubt it has one, however I am under the impression that they are not prohibitively expensive.
  • note3
    note3 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    We recently sold a new build which drove us insane as downstairs had a small kitchen and then a combined lounge diner. The house felt so clostrophobic as a result (two adults and 3 children squeezed in one room most of the time). Our absolute stipulation upon moving was the next place had to have two rooms downstairs to sit in (whether separate lounge and dining room, or lounge and kitchen diner). I would hand on heart never compromise of this again as i would lose my sanity.

Reason I say this is have a think about what space your home offers and how you would feel living there and how future buyers would
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    We are looking at opening ours up. A structural engineer is recommended - cost is about £300.

Given it's a wall I dont understand why there would be a lintel there as standard.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Much prefer the new layout. This one isn't really about adding value. However, we feel it will look much better and so when we sell we feel that this will help.

Fair enough! Your house and your money etc, so you should please yourselves primarily, and don't worry too much about the consequences.

That said, you are effectively losing a room in this plan, so any listing will state "1 reception room", rather than "2 separate reception rooms", so it's not a consequence-free idea..
  • adonis10
    Options
    note3 wrote: »
    We recently sold a new build which drove us insane as downstairs had a small kitchen and then a combined lounge diner. The house felt so clostrophobic as a result (two adults and 3 children squeezed in one room most of the time). Our absolute stipulation upon moving was the next place had to have two rooms downstairs to sit in (whether separate lounge and dining room, or lounge and kitchen diner). I would hand on heart never compromise of this again as i would lose my sanity.

Reason I say this is have a think about what space your home offers and how you would feel living there and how future buyers would

Can understand that but we don't have any kids and don't plan to, you have 3 so can appreciate it was claustrophobic.
  • adonis10
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Fair enough! Your house and your money etc, so you should please yourselves primarily, and don't worry too much about the consequences.

That said, you are effectively losing a room in this plan, so any listing will state "1 reception room", rather than "2 separate reception rooms", so it's not a consequence-free idea..

Fair point, however at some stage one has to just say "we're doing x and y because we like it and plan to live there for a while" and any financial up/downside has to be just taken on the chin.

True, but we will more than likely have an arch so it will still look like 2, just more open plan. At the end of the day, we've seen two in the same road with each layout and the open plan one is far, far better in our eyes.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Why on earth would one need a PWA when you're not working on the party wall.

A steel normally needs to rest on a pier formed from part of the wall being removed. No need to touch any party wall.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure