PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

July 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    We're doing OK - 8 NSD's so far, and we've been "shopping" by ordering in veg and fruit boxes - so stopping us needing to go to the shops at all. We're using a mix of Riverford organic, and a local veg box scheme - Riverford has a nice changing offer week to week, whereas the local one you do get a bit more (it's not organic), but the offer doesn't change, so we're getting our staples from the local one and then a top up of different more interesting bits from Riverford. So far so good.

We're at £172.71 so far - Florence we're nearly SNAP!

Hope you are all well. Ramble x
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    $124 today on groceries and tacos while we were there. Lots of sale items so a good stock up on chicken, pork chops and shrimp...to name a few.

Signature updated.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not doing so good. £24 left for the month. I think I thought that joining up here would somehow make me stick to my budget better, following the example of all you thrifty thriftateers. Does everyone else really find it as easy as it looks like, to save money and live on very little?
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday, yipee, thats 7 days now. NAVYFOLLY, tbh its not easy the willpower needed sometimes collapses! but when you come within your budget the feeling far out weighs this. my downfall are YS bargains, trying to reign this in by not going anywhere near the shops!! the inspiration you will gain from others on ostb is amazing, dont beat yourself up though, life is far too short. xx
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NavyFolly wrote: »
    Not doing so good. £24 left for the month. I think I thought that joining up here would somehow make me stick to my budget better, following the example of all you thrifty thriftateers. Does everyone else really find it as easy as it looks like, to save money and live on very little?
    No my first month I was about double what I wanted, just looked at my signature I was treble, it`s a learning curve, do a stock take on cupboards and fridge/freezers, plan a menu for a week or more if you can using current stock, making a note of any items needed, that`s your shopping list.I keep a pad near stove and jot down things running out. add to shopping list, then don`t forget to take the list, like I frequently do, with you.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've finally organised my cupboards/shopping plan. Went to Lidl this morning and got the weeks shopping - £30! And that includes the dog.�� Still going to be over for the month as I have an MF delivery coming, but if I can save £20 a week with Lidl, I should catch up on my budget in the next month or so. Yeah. ��
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Last night I felt like giving up - but am going to do an inventory of my cupboards today to see what's what for the rest of the month.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well done navyfolly thats the spirit. xx
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NavyFolly wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Last night I felt like giving up - but am going to do an inventory of my cupboards today to see what's what for the rest of the month.

Anyone who says sticking to budget is easy, is either the exception to the rule or lying.

Sticking to a budget is not easy because you are constantly having to make decisions about 'do i need this', 'do i have it in stock?' "can i get this cheaper?', and you have to shop around. It takes time and effort. Going over budget is so easy, you don't have to think, all you do is shove things in your basket and just pay at the till.

You have to make compromises and decisions on everything. For about 3 months now I have added a certain brand of beer I love but my boyfriend doesn't to my online basket and for the last 3 months I have taken it out of the basket before I pay as my budget doesn't cover it. It is currently on offer at Tescos, and still I think this will be a month when I don't buy it.

Sure, Beer is a non essential purchase, but I do it with everything. I buy orange juice in Iceland because it is 59p whereas in Tescos it is 65p. I walk a couple of miles to my nearest Morrisons, like i will today, to get the few items which are best value there, as i would rather walk for hours and save a couple of quid then know i missed out on a deal by going to a nearer supermarket.

I pick up receipts belonging to over people to photo for my apps and to collect the points.

I know I will go over budget this month, no matter how hard i try, but i hope I will do better than the last months.

It is not easy, it is about forming a new habit which takes time. I don't think you will see results instantly but if you keep a record somewhere then you might notice it gets better each month until you are in budget again.

I hope things get easier.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Picked up my 'free' covent garden soup from Morrisons as well as Orange Juice, noodle and activia yooghurts that are on offer on shopitize. 3.30 in total, so 8.89 remaining until I am over budget.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills