How much do you spend on food?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pastas good but I think baked beans at 25p a can more healthy :)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Pastas good but I think baked beans at 25p a can more healthy :)

Probably, but I can't stand tinned baked beans!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I'm vegan. I spend £20-£30 a week on me and my animals.
  • Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. It's given me some hope that i can curtail my horrific food spending.

I've recently returned to the 'debt free wanna be board' as i am now totally focused and ready to face our debts. A large bulk is due to over-spending every month. Food being the biggest overspend. We're a family of four (2 adults, 11yr old and 8yr old). I've just stopped their school lunches as they want packed lunch to eat outside on the playing field with their friends so that's started saving me 4.20 per day on school dinners so i just have to factor in the lunch ingredients but its way cheaper than £4.20.

Hubbie has started taking lunches to work with him instead of buying stuff whilst out, and I've been generally using left overs for my lunch as i am currently at home, but back to work in a week. I've started ordering our cats food off amazon and we get through one bag of dry food (special diet) every 2 months, so £9 per month which i don't think is too bad for feeding a cat for a whole month and she is 'curvy' according to the vet lol.

A big portion of our overspend has been alcohol - hubbie and i have joined a challenge to be booze free so i'm feeling really positive about this. I've upped my cooking from scratch and plan to keep a more detailed record of food/cleaning spends from now on as I've been lumping them all together with all supermarket spends which has even included birthday cards and flowers for presents.

If i could get my spend down to £50 a week for food i'll be over the moon, any lower and i'll be tap dancing on the kitchen side board!!!!!
    Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795
  • ladybabe
    ladybabe Posts: 374 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i have recently dropped hours at work and have worked out i now save more having an extra day off than the money i lost being at work. Mainly as i now have a free day a week to bulk cook and freeze i also prepare a box of salad and chopped fruit in fridge to last a few days at a time, both me and OH take left overs for pack up etc now down to £25 per week on food. we costco cleaning stuff/washing powder/looroll so only have to get these bulk buy 3 times a year ish
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We spend between £30 and £40 a week for 2 adults. That includes cleaning items and toiletries.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hrm looking through the last year we seem to average out at £42 per week for my husband and I for all food and non alcoholic drinks per week. That works out at £3 each per day and not the £2.50 I thought. This is still less than nearly 2 years ago when it was £50-£60 per week.
    We could reduce our budget I'm sure but this is workable to the budget and I think it is reasonable for 2 people.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • HermioneGranger
    Options
    We spend about 60 a week for two adults. We shop in Aldi mainly, with the occasional Tesco/Waitrose top up. Some weeks its only 50, others its 70. I feel like we eat very well.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m going to take myself in hand and meal plan & write a list after reading this!!
    I don!!!8217;t have a set figure, I tend to buy frequent little shops, which is a really expensive way to shop, hungry, after work, tired & sometimes in those express type of stores.
    I probably spend about £50, that would include coffees & bits.
    Toiletries not included nor cleaning materials, nor pet food.

I!!!8217;m definitely going to start planning.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two years ago I set myself a budget of £65 per week for food and household items for two adults, two cats, one dog, and the occasional visit home from one (sometimes two) hungry grown up children.

Last year (mostly with the help of this site) I trimmed that budget back to £60 per week.

This year I am budgetting £55 per week, but now that I have swapped to Aldi for the majority of our shop I find I am generally hovering around £48-£50 per week.

I do grow my own herbs, plus quite a lot of fruit and veg. I keep chickens so there are plenty of free eggs (I sell the surplus to friends, which pays for the chicken feed). I cook everything from scratch, batch cook, stretch meals etc etc. We eat pretty darned well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure