How much do you spend on food?

Options

Comments

• flubberyzing
    Options
    I'm in a singleton household - currently about £30 a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in a singleton household - currently about £30 a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

You should be ashamed of yourself! You do realise there are families of four that are feeding themselves on just £20 a week on here?! :rotfl:
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 26 September 2016 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Looks to probably be around £50-£60/week for two of us now for just food. We don't buy as frugally as we used to and prices have gone up also but our spends have gone up around double in four years! I'm sure if we needed to we could get it down to £45-£50/week or less though. We have a large stock of food - example 18 tins of tomatoes, 26 UTH plant milks etc, and our large freezer (over 5ft tall) is basically full.

Feral moon:
    I've done the live below challenge in the past for a whole 7 days; not the 5 most do. You get £1 a day a person for food so for one person that is £7 for a week. I could probably still do it if I had/wanted to. So for a family of 4 that would be £28/week. The thread I know you refer to was started four years ago so £28 would sound about right.

My OH and I could easily eat solely from our cupboards and freezer for at least two weeks if we needed to, probably a month though that would get interesting for meals lol.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    You should be ashamed of yourself! You do realise there are families of four that are feeding themselves on just £20 a week on here?! :rotfl:
    Why are you mocking people?

Some families don't have any other choice than to feed themselves on a very small amount of money.
  • I don`t think they are mocking, I took it as a tongue in cheek comment :eek:
  • juliafreitaslove
    Options
    As of my family, we do not tend to spend lots of budget on buying things; it's a matter of choices. If you spend your life with proper calculation then a fair amount is more than enough and you are fond of throwing money out then 4 figure salaries will not overcome your needs. The one thing is living a simple life in which you control your budget and the other one is luxury which is supposed to spend out of limits.
  • yonn
    yonn Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    We spend between 140-160 Euros a week on shopping, for 4 of us, We have spent as low as 90-100 euros a week when we have been a bit strapped and bought just basics. And for some reason we don’t spend as much in the summer, guess because its a lot of salads etc.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Well, this calls for some kind of experiment. Next week I will try taking sandwiches/leftovers into work and see how it compares for a) cost b) enjoyment c) effort. I've recently changed jobs and my commute is longer than before so saving some money on food at work would be useful.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on.

Are you planning to have breakfast (if you don't already) or take some fruit in case you're tempted to start on your lunch too early?
    So how did you get on with taking your own lunches?
  • preciousillusions
    Options
    A lot. Too much. A shameful amount.

Bulimia. Enough said.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

And they have my admiration!

Saying that though, I have been working on cutting it back a bit!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business