MSE forums have changed!

Options
RANT WARNING.

I have been a fan of MSE for many years now and I was always impressed by the friendly and knowledgeable responses I have received.

Recently I came back here to seek a little advice about money matters and so I asked away. All I got back was sarcastic, judgmental and generally unhelpful bilge!

I know the majority of users are probably still nice, helpful people but these negative keyboard warriors are really poisoning what was an excellent community.

It's not just my questions either. I popped in to a few others to try and offer my advice. I have witnessed a young lady berated because she dared to admit she wasn't very good a reverse parking and I saw a member attacked because he dared to ask for advice on maintaining his car.

It's a shame because for me, this has ruined what was once a great and safe place to ask questions, and get non-judgmental advice back.

Sorry for the rant, I hate to see negative people ruin a good thing. :mad:

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the Motoring board, which I think is where the threads you are referring to are posted?

recci has started a thread about his/her sister's bad driving but hasn't returned to it.
  • sparkychris
    sparkychris Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience as a professional lurker, the motoring board does have a large proportion of holier-than-thous and pedants, but if you just ignore the big d!cks you can get some really good invaluable advice....
    :cool::cool: lurker:cool::cool:
  • The_grey_man_2
    Options
    That's exactly the one avogadro! I don't blame him really.
  • The_grey_man_2
    Options
    In my experience as a professional lurker, the motoring board does have a large proportion of holier-than-thous and pedants, but if you just ignore the big d!cks you can get some really good invaluable advice....

Unfortunately it seems to be drowned out by all the judgmental douchebags!! :rotfl:
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think if you went back over the years, you'd find the motoring board hasn't changed all that much.Some boards are a lot less tolerant than others. I remember a near virtual punch up when someone once admitted to middle lane hogging.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • The_grey_man_2
    Options
    Perhaps I am looking through rose-tinted glasses then. :)
    The middle lane hogging story does ring a bell actually. :rotfl:
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even as I started reading, I was thinking of replying the motoring board can be a bit vicious. Mind you, I haven't visited the others mentioned in the post just above.
  • sparkychris
    Options
    Celifein wrote: »
    I just had a look at your thread. Those replies weren't that bad. If you really want someone to eviscerate you, try the housing, benefits or work boards. :eek:

If this comment is aimed at me, I have no problems with any of the comments in the thread I placed recently in the motoring board - to be fair, I've only ever had helpful replies especially when I was looking for a used car last year ... But I've seen some really silly (and angry) Fallings out on other threads!
  • The_grey_man_2
    Options
    I just had a look at your thread. Those replies weren't that bad. If you really want someone to eviscerate you, try the housing, benefits or work boards. :eek:

I can imagine! I'll give it a miss I think. :)
  • sparkychris
    Options
    Did you quote the wrong post? I can't see why you'd think my post was aimed at you. :huh:

Because I've put a thread in the motoring board recently.

My mistake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family