Options
13»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Utter rubbish. If you can't find anywhere exciting in the whole of the US then there's something wrong with you!

Well, my first visit there was for six months, with lots of travel and sight-seeing (and a bit of work thrown in...). Of course I found a few interesting places, but by comparison with virtually every other destination I have explored the ratio of interest and enjoyment versus cost and area was depressingly low.
  • beccauk
    beccauk Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Theft, irrespective of value or product, is a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT). As you have a CIMT, you are ineligible to use the Visa Waiver Program and must apply for a B1/B2 visa (which, if granted, is actually superior to the VWP as they last for 10 years and enable you to receive 6 months' entry at a time).

Other people have suggested you commit immigration fraud by lying on the ESTA application. You might get away with this, or you might spend the night in a prison near the airport, be deported the next day, and receive a ban from entering the US.

One thing you should consider though, is if you do lie, and you do 'get away with it'...you have no idea whatsoever what might be in store for you in the future. You might meet a significant other who lives in the US (or relocates there). You, yourself, might be offered a job in the US. In these cases, you'll need a police check, and at that point, the web of deceit comes unstuck.

Apply for the visa.
  • danielthomark
    danielthomark Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2016 at 12:06PM
    Options
    beccauk wrote: »
    as they last for 10 years and enable you to receive 6 months' entry at a time

While I agree with you, the B2 can last for up to 10 years and be multiple entry. They can also be issued for single entry of limited stay, 1 year, 5 years etc etc

After 9/11 the B2 became harder to get for working-age tourists.
  • beccauk
    beccauk Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    While I agree with you, the B2 can last for up to 10 years and be multiple entry. They can also be issued for single entry of limited stay, 1 year, 5 years etc etc

After 9/11 the B2 became harder to get for working-age tourists.

True, but only if he needs a Waiver of Ineligibility.

B1/B2 visas are next to impossible if you are otherwise VWP eligible. But as the OP is not, then providing his criminal record can be overcome, he should get it fairly easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure