Would i be refused entry?

Options
Possibly wanting to go to the USA - Vegas in perticualer but when i was a young lad i went of the rails 18 - 20 I stole a sum of money from a house had a stupid phase where id steal post from a block of flats i was caught in both instances and its been 16 years since i been a fool.

what are the chances of me not being able to go to vegas? Is there anyway to find out before i board a plane or book a holiday my chances of being allowed entry?
Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571

Comments

• Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    wouldn't worry about it , I have been to the USA 8 times in last 10yrs and I have a criminal record for shoplifting when I was a lad
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just search the forum. There is a ton of discussion about your situation. Basically the US do not have access to the Police National Computer.

If your offence was high profile then the US will know or you are a potential risk to National Security.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Just search the forum. There is a ton of discussion about your situation. Basically the US do not have access to the Police National Computer.

If your offence was high profile then the US will know or you are a potential risk to National Security.

So based on the time frame along with nature of crime I wouldnt need to declare it
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    So based on the time frame along with nature of crime I wouldnt need to declare it[/QUOTE

Do you know you have to fill out an ESTA application?

Up to you wether you declare it or not

If you do be prepared for the extra expense and interview

If you don't declare then that will most likely get you an ESTA with nothing to worry about

I am not advising either way just stating your options
  • danielthemark
    Options
    So based on the time frame along with nature of crime I wouldnt need to declare it

Time frames got nothing to do with this.

The nature of the crime is theft, which is a crime involving moral turpitude (as long as you intended not to return the items, permanently deprive - why joyriding isn't a CiMT usually)

Postal theft also carries a 5 year max. sentence in the US.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    I have been to the states with my brother-in-law 3 times, 20 years ago he did 6 months for taking without consent, he has never declared it and has never had a problem.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Mr_Wang
    Mr_Wang Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    Options
    Time frames got nothing to do with this.

The nature of the crime is theft, which is a crime involving moral turpitude (as long as you intended not to return the items, permanently deprive - why joyriding isn't a CiMT usually)

Postal theft also carries a 5 year max. sentence in the US.

Boring.

OP - You'll be fine.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    Apply for a visa, then you will know
    travelover
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apply for a visa, then you will know

They don't need a visa unless they don't have an e passport (so 10 year old passport)- they need an esta
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do - we accept no liability here for any answers given - ie you are on your own!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure