Thursday 31st March - What small DFW things will you do today?

in Debt-Free Wannabe
33 replies 2.9K views
crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
6.9K Posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:

Replies

• crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all :wave:
    Woken by a cat at quarter to six and completely unable to get back to sleep afterwards. Hmph. I was planning a long lie in this morning with the kids waiting on me hand and foot as it's my birthday - but I'm downstairs, on my own (apart from a couple of cats), snuggled under the blankets because it's freezing, cup of tea and MSE/TV all to myself. Not too many plans for the day ahead other than to fret about getting old. :p :bdaycake:
    Ally - hope that all goes well at hospital today.
    CrazyLAdy - hope things are as ok as can be...
    Right, it is payday so doubly happy today, and plans go on as usual:
    _party_ check banking and PAD
    _party_ finalise March budget and get April's on the go
    _party_ minimal housework
    _party_ ring Sky and haggle for a cheaper deal (DH pays this but I haven't called them for a while)
    _party_ swagbucks as I'm determined to get this voucher
    _party_ no heating if possible
    _party_ load of washing
    _party_ perhaps go out for lunch (I have a load of vouchers from various places)
    _party_ contact bestie and arrange a get together
    _party_ get dh to fill his holiday forms in
    _party_ nap if I need to (now I am approaching the end of my 30s) :eek:
    _party_ try and relax
    Have a good day everyone :wave:
  • yasmin2yasmin2 Forumite
    319 Posts
    Happy Birthday :bdaycake: CCL.. Hope you have a lovely day being spoilt...:j:j

1) Going to work later but water and food from home so hopefully another NSD.
    2) Updated totals last night so job saved for today
    3) List 3 items at least for ebay (not my favourite job lol)
    4) Try and make another attempt at sorting out box of papers/statements/filing

Hope everyone has a lovely day:)
    Debt outstanding [STRIKE]£3491.[/STRIKE] £3303
    NSD 10/15
  • allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:
    • Benefits check-up ( Link )
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link)
    • eBid ( Link )
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery ( Link )
    • FreeStuff ( Link )
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link )
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link )
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link )
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link )
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself ( Link )
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link )
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link )
    • Swagbucks ( Link )
    • Swapit ( Link )
    • Tesco Orchard product testing (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna ( Link )
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)
    Checked 25 Feb 2016.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £1400

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    News: Minimum Wage Increase

From April 2016, employees aged 25 and over are legally entitled to at least £7.20 per hour. (Link)

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    CCL - Happy Birthday! Don't waste it on fretting about getting older. Why worry about what you can't change? I'm more than 10 years older than you & my attitude is that I will simply never, ever be this young again, so may as well quit fretting about it!
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • edited 31 March 2016 at 7:28AM
    allydowdallydowd Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2016 at 7:28AM
    Hi March Money-Watchers,

Just a quickie.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Month Ten:

* Looked up cost of new washing machine drum spider. £20-£50. So if it is that it shouldn't break the bank.

* Continue with quick hand-washing of clothing and drip drying over the bath. It's pouring hard so clothing won't make the line.

* Off to hospital in about an hour. Hoping to be in and out quite quickly if all goes smoothly. The procedure is usually done under general anaesthetic but I'm having it done under local to hasten recovery time. It's bad enough I've had to take a day's holiday from work for it. Luckily the hospital is nearby and the parking is free.

What you all planning?

• foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning Campers,
    Another big frost overnight....mr f just been out scraping the car. It's my 2nd strict calorie day of the week, so will keep really busy to divert my mind from the mini hot cross buns I know are in the freezer.
    *Freezer-dive for salmon (avoiding buns) & round up veg which needs using for tonight's meal.
    *Tackle ironing pile. Save energy by only ironing what really needs it & switching off for final couple of garments.
    *Do meal plans for next week.
    *Write shopping list.
    *Find John Lewis voucher stash. They have the cooker we want for same price as Curry's, etc, & I have some vouchers towards it, which will help.
    *Tend veggie seedlings & start potting up the bigger flower seedlings (free seed).
    *Finish knitting current pair of little socks & cast on another.
    *Think about a name for my planned Facebook selling page.
    *Get out Spring/Summer clothes stash & use to revamp wardrobe. The best revamp would be to shift the bit of weight that"s slid back on during the last 2 years so I can fit comfortably into all my size 16s again. I recently bought 1 dress in an 18 so as to have something that doesn't feel tight, but I won't be buying any more!
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    That will do for today. Keep your hands on your pence,
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a good one CCL:

:bdaycake:

• PurpleFairy26PurpleFairy26 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Cat :bdaycake:

Managed to read the last couple of days but not had energy to post. Hopefully worst if the work week is over but still two days to go so we'll see, home today so might actuallŷ be able to get something done.

Today will mainly look like:
    Dentist for DD and I, will free park in town and maybe get a couple of bits from market
    Washing drying outside, lovely day, may try and squeeze another load on
    Meals from stores
    Hair cut for me this afternoon, have a voucher that I had for my birthday last year to use, think the balance will be 50p :rotfl: as I haven't had it cut for 15 months, I don't think it's an extravagance :o
    Last day before payday, final banking check and update sheet. Am very happy have been able to pay £800 off debt this month, ahead of target so am pleased :D
    List a couple more items on fleabay, am back in the swing, sold somethings to a best offer yesterday for the first time, every day is a school day :p

Think that's about all for now, will check back later :)
  • JHiggins91JHiggins91 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Morning all

Happy birthday CCL!

Today I'm going to do the stuff I didn't yesterday - was in bed for 7.50 last night!
    I'll list two items on Gumtree
    Pay £10.00 into pot for overpayment of some sort
    Sort out a spreadsheet with budgets etc (may download YNAB for April)
    Have leftovers from last night's dinner and purge the freezer and fridge.

Last day of work this week so I'm whistling along.

J
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News