91 Days Jsa

Options
Hi all

To start a Little of my story . My nationality Is Portuguese and been Living on the Uk for more than 11 years . have worked in the pass also have been in JSA and even house benefit .. Been also in a relationship for around 9 years with someone that is english plus we also have 2 kids that are british as nationality .. we split up last year and so I moved home to a council one at the start of january ...

With this said I applied for JSA and received it but now they stopped it what will also stop my house benefit leaving me with no money at all to help with my kids and also to eat and pay bills for the daily living

What they say is that I failed the genuine prospect of work test ( this with me doing everything that ive been asked and also no sanctions and even with some interviews in the middle and registering with any possible recruitment agency possible around me )

My doubts is really what to do now since i dont have any income almost certain my house benefit will also stop and also why does a person that been living here more than 10 and even my family is british have to been dealing with all this stress

any help will be welcome because at the moment im ready to give up in anything really

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd go to your nearest advice agency or CAB
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Are you not receiving any money for the children from their father?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Do you not receive child benefit or tax credits?
  • Freddie76
    Freddie76 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I will try and also do that next tuesday when they are opening . I always been at work or even JSA since I arrived 11 years ago .. only the last 2/3 years have been a nightmare in my personnel life . started around 2013 when I had to leave my job because I was in so much daily pain that was impossible for me to work . so applied for JSA but at the same time always complaining to my GP that something was wrong with me ... Later that year I had a massive pain that knock me out on the floor in agony and had to call a ambulance to find out then on the hospital that I had a gallstone ( massive one ) and needed a urgent OP . what I done during that time since i was leaving with my ex I didnt applied for anything and stayed at home . after that I started to have anxiety severe anxiety problems plus panic attacks that even today Im taking medication and going to my GP two in two weeks ..I started to feel better at the start of 2015 and started looking for a job and did get one but after two months on that job I fainted for two times ( again the panic and anxiety ) so had to be up upgraded on my meds

now I was trying once again to be strong and start raising my life yet again but I Will be even worse now since I dont even understand why after 11 years on this country I still need to do Habitual Residence Test .... plus now my JSA stopped because was only 91 days . rang to them and been told that my only way is to look for a food bank
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Are you not receiving any money for the children from their father?

What makes you think they're the mother? I read it as a non resident parent as it says 'help with kids' but that could just be my interpretation.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2016 at 4:52PM
    Options
    This is from Citizen's advice website:

If you're an EEA national who has come to the UK as a jobseeker, you can’t claim income-based jobseeker's allowance during your first three months in the country. After that you can claim for a total of 91 days, which can be split across several periods of jobseeking. If you leave the UK for a year or more you can start a new jobseeking period when you return. If you leave for less than a year you can only have jobseeker status when you return if you can provide 'compelling' evidence that you have a genuine chance of finding work.

From 10 November 2014, if you become a jobseeker after living in the UK for more than three months with a different status (for example, as a student) and you don’t have a right to reside for another reason, you may only receive income-based jobseeker's allowance for 91 days. Your claim for income-based jobseeker's allowance may stop after you’ve been claiming for a total of 91 days, unless you can provide 'compelling' evidence that you have a genuine chance of finding work. In this case your benefit may continue for a short period. A firm offer of a job starting in the near future would count as compelling evidence. You will be asked to attend a 'Genuine Prospect of Work Assesment' to find out how likely you are to find work.
  • Freddie76
    Options
    Im the father and yes was giving them some money from my JSA . they are living with there mum but with me at the weekends . well now not even that will be possible since how will I feed my kids really if i will not even have food for myself
  • Freddie76
    Options
    I been here for more than 11 years plus have done everything that they ask me never missed nothing and even had interviews just didnt worked out i guess
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Freddie76 wrote: »
    I been here for more than 11 years plus have done everything that they ask me never missed nothing and even had interviews just didnt worked out i guess

You haven't done anything wrong it's just the new rules that you can only claim for 91 days.

Have you got any more interviews lined up?
  • Freddie76
    Options
    you may only receive income-based jobseeker's allowance for 91 days. Your claim for income-based jobseeker's allowance may stop after you’ve been claiming for a total of 91 days, unless you can provide 'compelling' evidence that you have a genuine chance of finding work. In this case your benefit may continue for a short period. A firm offer of a job starting in the near future would count as compelling evidence. You will be asked to attend a 'Genuine Prospect of Work Assesment' to find out how likely you are to find work.

Yes and all that have been done the only thing missing was that firm offer ... But everyday applied for jobs . went to interviews and all .. so before that 91 days I went to a interview with a person on my local job centre and she did the form for me ( saying that i had interviews . my english was good plus always looking for jobs online and all that )

The decision maker decided at the end that i dont have a genuine chance of finding work ?? what more does he want me to do ? even registered with all the recruitment agencies I cud find . local newspapers and much more

Now been left with no JSA and no housing benefit . plus got a tenner to eat nothing more ....

Yes and also still looking for work ... but soon will have everyone asking me for money and maybe even loose my flat because of all this I dont even want to think about gas . electricity and food that shud be the first ones to go ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure