Fraudulant use of Motability car?

Options

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe motability should just operate without the free tax disc?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And that comes back to my point about people being more likely to read Motability's guidance, than any VED documentation, so Motability are misleading people.
    They need to point out in big letters that although they don't care, the legislation for vehicles with free, disabled VED are different and stricter.

It is rather nasty to 'sell' something and fail to inform the buyers about some rather strict legal restrictions on use
  • System
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Maybe motability should just operate without the free tax disc?
    Or if you do want the nominated driver to use the vehicle for their own use then PIP is used as a reduction on a standard lease hire.

If you go for the free VED then if caught using it outside the regulations the vehicle is withdrawn without question. It will be impounded by the police on the spot anyway as it will not be taxed. The police can then arrange for it to be collected by Motability
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Most captures, and its a fallacy to say there have been none are (1) as a result of a national purge and there have been three the biggest of which was Motability's own where they dumped thousands and fitted 'black box's' to catch others (2) and the biggest incidental being reported by neighbours. The thing is if the disabled here don't understand the rules then a busy cop / council office / etc is also not going to understand the advice from Motability and the DVLA.

My fear is that another political purge is already in planning as we write these words. Having failed to the get the treasury PIP reduction benefit to the exchequer a~n~other menu of options to get at the money will most certainly be in the planning stage. The outcome, if they choose to turn again to the rag-tops of another round of sustained disabled benefit scrounger rhetoric around the jealousy hostility and resentment of what is seen as a free car will be the loss of mobility to thousands of honest rule abiding disabled citizens.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • System
    Options
    Maybe fitting GPS tracking is the way to go. Data can be automatically analysed and acted upon. such as regular mon
    - Fri runs. If the runs are legitimate then they can have a flag set. aything else is investigated and acted on.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Or if you do want the nominated driver to use the vehicle for their own use then PIP is used as a reduction on a standard lease hire.

If you go for the free VED then if caught using it outside the regulations the vehicle is withdrawn without question. It will be impounded by the police on the spot anyway as it will not be taxed. The police can then arrange for it to be collected by Motability

It's a shame they stopped the part of the scheme that allowed DLA to be used as finance to purchase a second hand car. I'm not sure why they did that.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My fear is that another political purge is already in planning as we write these words. Having failed to the get the treasury PIP reduction benefit to the exchequer a~n~other menu of options to get at the money will most certainly be in the planning stage.

Ours too. .
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First day for me without a blue badge while waiting on the council finding someone to assess me or PIP appeal (either could come first living here) and it's not fun. OH parked at the back of ikea where there were no other cars, nearly got killed as no one could see me from over their steering wheel and then when we came back out there were cars parked on either side of us! No other cars that far back from the shop.

"Crack downs" are a bloody nightmare when you're one of the unlucky ones to get caught up in it.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Edit - Update 2016 Hansard

23 Feb 2016 : New applicants to Motability are now split 50:50 between PIP and DLA. 24,000 more people using the Motability scheme than there were at the start of 2013, when PIP was introduced.

23 Feb 2016 : Help to DLA claimants who leave the Motability scheme. They can keep their car for seven weeks; they are allowed to buy their own vehicle; and most of them will receive up to £2,000 pro rata in benefits, which is normally enough to buy a used car. Motability helps to pay to adapt new non-scheme cars and it provides advice on matters such as car insurance. That support is paid for by donations from Motability Operations, to make things as smooth as possible.

23 February 2016 Volume 606 : The £2,000 pro rata transitional support cheque from Motability, if you win your appeal but decide to keep the money, you would not be able to return to the Motability scheme for six months.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that the £2000 support ( plus a % pro rata payment from the AP) that longer term claimants would receive can be taken off the price quoted if they want to buy their current car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure