It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning Chica!

I certainly will update as and when things happen.

For example;

Spoke with Purple Bricks this morning and they can only update their system between 9am-5pm. So as of 9.01am this morning, the flat is no longer listed.

One good things about Purple Bricks is that because you make the offer (as opposed to going through solicitors) you are able to see in real time an update on the situation. So right now I can see what stage we are on - "Waiting on seller to arrange a solicitor". Gives me a bit of piece of mind and I don't need to chase my solicitor needlessly.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So exciting! Really pleased for you - look back again at your thread beginnings and see how far you've come! Well done.

Ikea is a great place and we have more than a few bits from there but also worth looking at are second hand shops, charity shops etc for a bit of upcycling furniture. We managed to kit our two spare bedrooms with brown wood wardrobes, chest of drawers, bookshelves and tables - a few evenings of sanding and chalk paint and literally one roll of expensive zany wallpaper for the linings and they look like they came from a posh shop. They weren't sets but now they look like they are in a quirky way - look on pinterest for ideas. I'm regularly asked where I bought them.
    I paid less than £100 for two wardrobes, three chest of drawers, two small booksheves, four assorted coffee tables and a small shelving unit and that was more than they wanted to take. Cost me £15 delivery on top. And then I paid around £50 for the materials. Even at Ikea prices I doubt I could top that and they're unique.
    Worth looking on freecycle and asking your relatives too for anything that they want rid of.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm absolutely thrilled for you Speky - huge congratulations :j :beer:
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Joey - That gives me fantastic inspiration!! My cousin was super MSE when he bought his flat and used freecyle a lot. I'll keep my eyes peeled on gumtree/ebay/charity shops for some bargains.

CCL - Thank you :)
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hey there Speky!

Exciting times ahead for you in regards to your potential new home! What a difference a year has made for you.

I bet your head is full of lots of ideas that you could do to the flat and as everyone else says there is a lot you can get from freecycle/ebay/family members etc. I know one person who buys herself a new sofa every 12/18 months and sells the old one on social media or selling sites, crazy that she hands over so much money each time but each to their own!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning Chandelier.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open on ebay and the like for some bargains. The reason I am up so early for a Saturday is that I'm looking to take advantage of the Next sale that's on.

I got a message last night from the seller setting a move in date of week commencing the 10th July. Perfect!!! Gives me some time to save up a bit more.

Can't wait!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations Speky! Exciting times
  • Jenjenjen17
    Options
    Hi Specky,

I've never posted before but have been reading your thread from the start, congratulations on the flat really happy for you! I bought my flat in Glasgow a couple of years ago and got quite a few things in really good condition from gumtree so would recommend you have a look.

Jen
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning Jen, thanks for stopping by and posting.

I'll be sure to check it out as I'll need a bargain or 2 to get me going. What sort of things did you get on gumtree?
  • Jenjenjen17
    Options
    Hi Speky

I got dining chairs, a table and a bookcase. The dining chairs were the best bargain, they were £65 each new in Ikea but I managed to get four that were less than a year old in perfect condition for £70. One of my friends also just got a washing machine that was about a year old for £80 because the person selling was moving into a new build with integrated appliances.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback